Customer reviews

on 6 July 2017
Beautiful illustrations good for maybe more advanced makeup artists?
on 5 March 2017
Ok
on 9 June 2017
Beautiful book, lots of lovely photography has key information not tones of info but very inspirational for those looking to re create looks visually rather that text wise.
on 8 August 2016
This book is extremely patchy in quality. It is filled with fabulous and inspiring photographs however often disappointingly there will be 5 photos on a page, three or four of which are described in detail, and the one you'd like to reproduce has zero guidance. This is worse in some chapters than others - for example the chapter on men has an intro, 5 photos and zero instructions despite being 8 pages long. Useless. The section on period makeup is pretty basic and gallops through the 1920s to 50s before becoming more informative from the 60s onwards. I felt that the author didn't know their intended audience and veered between very basic information to extremely cryptic - unfortunately the cryptic was on the more complex looks not the easier ones. Really more of a coffee table book than an instructional manual, which is a shame given the subtitle 'professional techniques for creating original looks '. I'd say that I am intermediate with makeup looking to step up a level and this book taught me nothing new.
on 29 December 2011
absolutely fantastic book, full of beautiful images, really helped to inspire me with my make up artistry. theres alot of basics in there, but a great section on body painting tips and advice on getting into more sought after positions. id say good for anyone interested in make up but more useful for someone in the business :)
on 2 December 2010
I bought this book on a whim when it popped up in my recommendations and I'm so glad I did. As well as being a lovely coffee table book containing some fantasic images it contains plenty of information on how to recreate these looks, a great source of ideas for anyone wanting more edgy and creative makeup
on 6 June 2012
worth the price, its beautifully illustrated and well explained as for how to create the looks. It covers beauty makeup up to fantasy makeup which is fantastic and it inspires me to create alot of new looks! i highly recommend this book to makeup artists whixh are fresh in this industry of fashion and makeup.
on 21 February 2011
I'm a make-up artist and love to be creative and to think out of the box concerning make-up. So, when I first saw the cover of this book on amazon I thought "yes, finally, a creative make-up book!". I was in doubt the whole book would be just as interesting as the cover, but I ordered it for my collection of make-up books.

This book is simply AMAZING! This book is full of gorgeous make-up. The images show a very high skill level and are inspiring and original. The book is very complete and far more accurate than most of the other make-upbooks available. It includes topics such as editorial make-up, underwater make-up, using glitter and period make-up, all breathtaking beautifully illustrated.

I recommend this book to all make-up artists, aspiring or experienced. I also recommend it as a stunning coffeetable book to anyone with a passion for make-up.

I absolutely adore "MakeUp is Art"! It's THE best book in my 50+ make-up book collection.
on 5 June 2011
This book was exactly what i was looking for - something that goes beyond all the other books and offers some more creative advice. It has all the basics first, but then goes further. It has inspiring pictures and i highly recommend. More for the makeup artist than the girl at home wanting to learn more about day makeup. Excellent.
on 2 January 2012
Wonderful book with incredible imagery and great tips! would be great as a gift or for yourself if you love makeup!