Customer reviews

It's Cold Outside
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2007
I really enjoyed this book although feel it could have been a bit longer as it literally only took a few evenings for me to read. As others have commented it is a book of two parts but I have to say that the characters are as well constructed and written as I have seen for a long time. My favourite was Rosa and although not quite the epic `Scrooge' turnaround in character there is an obvious hint at a tribute to that great book.

As someone of the older generation I found the adventures in Lapland to be the main heart of the book. I would love to go to Lapland one day and loved all the romanticism of the snow and log fires. On the other hand I am just happy to read about the Snow Trek and getting stuck in the wilderness and would certainly not want to experience it.
on 17 November 2006
I started to read this book with a little scepticism, thinking that it was just going be a dead end story. However I was quickly hooked. Horsfall just has a gift when it comes to characterisation which makes it easy to follow all the initial sub plots that finally intertwine into one and the fantastic Lapland finale. I'm sure Rugby fans will love the initial chapters but this really is a book for everyone and a nice warming Christmas tale (well timed!). A special mention must go to Dan and Drag, the fading 80's pop star and his roadie - surely they warrant another book. Fantastic.
on 27 January 2007
Having enjoyed the author's last book tremendously, I was unsure whether his high standard could be maintained. However, he demonstrated a resourceful versatility creating a unique book that was most enjoyable and a good laugh. The characters truly came to life and felt like friends after I shared in their adventures and experiences in the magical Lapland. Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2006
This book is perfect for fans of rom coms like the movie Love Actually, although it has appeal for male and female readers in equal measures. It starts off following the lives of a number of characters who later come together stranded in a log cabin in the snow at Christmas. There are several different plot strands which should keep any type of reader entertained.

The first part of the book is set during the Rugby World Cup of 2003 and flows nicely as the characters develop. The second half of the book is more action and drama as relationships are forged amidst a snowbound crisis, and there's an appearance from a jolly fellow who may or may not be St Nick...

All in all there's plenty here for anyone who enjoys an amusing comedy / romance novel that works from both male and female perspectives. A worthy follow up to Horsfall's previous book "You Are Here".
on 21 September 2007
It's Cold Outside - The book starts with several mini-chapters to introduce the main characters and we quickly get to know the two local radio Disc Jockeys (Justin and Fi), who I am sure come straight out of my local radio station, a bored (and boring) middle aged businessman (Gary) and his aggressive high flying partner and senior office manager (Rosa), a has-been Eighties pop star (Dan) and his mate and Roadie (Drag) + finally a retired chauffeur (Cameron). We get to understand a little about the characters during the background of the 2003 Rugby World Cup before events conspire to take them all to Lapland just before Christmas. Our protagonists then combine to embark on a snow adventure and end up getting lost, finding refuge in a traveller's Wilderness Hit. We then truly get to know the characters as events conspire to forge and mould all of their futures. We also see a surreal touch before an ending a year on that warms the heart.

All in all this was a very enjoyable book. I am assuming the author is a Rugby fan in choosing to base the early chapters around the events of England's rugby world cup victory. Very brave but it did tend to take over at times. The actual characters are very strong and you do end up caring about them and really liking some of them, in fact another criticism is that I feel the story could have been extended somewhat with more detail about some of the characters. I really enjoyed the Lapland part of the book and would say it was as good a piece of writing as I have read for some time. This is a Christmas story with a difference

Jakie Moore
on 13 June 2007
I feel very enthused to write this review as I thought `It's Cold Outside' was just brilliant. Like another reviewer I only bought this on the strength of Horsfall's last book, which I also thought was a gem. Unlike `You Are Here' this is not a beach read but then again I do not think you have to wait until Xmas to try it out (NB. If any TV producers happen to read these reviews this would make a cracking TV film for Xmas and what with the topical Rugby World Cup theme as well...). As for the book itself the characters are just brilliant and so well observed - brutal senior finance executive Rosa would make Katie whatsherface from the Apprentice cower in fear and like another reviewer I just thought Dan and Drag were amazing. Add to them Radio DJ's Justin and Fi, who cannot quite believe that their strictly amateur breakfast show has scooped first place for local station Stix FM at the national awards. The prize is the chance to broadcast from the prestigious Snow Lodge in Lapland, which is the focal meeting point for all the characters. We have all round nice bloke Gary, who was hoping that the trip would be a chance to rescue his relationship with Rosa but now thinks he has made a big mistake. Then there is dour and lonely Scotsman Cameron, summoned to Lapland to play the role of Father Christmas. The party is encouraged by the dashing and very rich entrepreneur Guy Hartman to take the trip of a lifetime. Accompanied by vivacious Jenny, the Entertainment Manager, they embark on a thrilling snow trek, led by Swedish Couple Mats and Sonja. Then it is sort of Big Bother meets Survivor (Lost) and anything can happen (and does). Roll on Horsfall's next.

PS - there is the appearance of another character at the end but who just who is he and does he really exist?
on 18 August 2007
Perhaps an unlikely combination but one that works. As shown in his first book,the author has a skill for taking you away to a certain place and time, also (or perhaps through) character development.
I came away feeling that maybe I've worked with a Rosa in the past and might like to meet a Jenny in the future. Something for boys and girls alike, easy to imagine ITV or Channel 4 doing something with this one Christmas. What's next ?
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2007
Having just watched England take a good clubbing in the rugby I took some comfort from reading this book. The first half was all set during the 2003 rugby world cup so I was able to cast my mind back to the good ol' days when we weren't rubbish.
There's plenty of very funny moments in this book, but it really serves well as a character piece. I got really into the relationships between the main players and I liked the fact I didn't really know what would happen, or who would end up with who.
Probably a good holiday read, but certainly not bad as a comfort read for us rugby nuts.
on 23 February 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s undemanding, great fun, with a cast of characters you can’t help liking. Gary Parsons is a bloke-ish character and his relationship with sexy but power-mad workaholic Rosa is on a knife edge. Justin and Fiona are radio presenters who spar with each other, rippling the airwaves with saucy double entendres, but they’re likeable people, their friendship purely platonic.
Cameron is an older guy, down on his luck and working as a store Father Christmas, and passionate about his daughter and grandson in Australia, whom he cannot afford to visit. Dan and Drag are has-been rock musicians who years ago employed Cameron as their roadie.
These disparate characters come together on a Lapland holiday, which ends up in an astonishing adventure that’s surely encapsulated in the book’s title ‘It’s cold outside’, and the heroes end up in wild arctic conditions, reliant on their own resources.
It’s a lively book, it’s a happy book. Most of all it’s an extremely funny book, and right up until the last page you don’t know how it’s going to end. I can give away that it’s a happy ending, but no more than that, as you really need to read it to find out what happens.
This is a book that’s an easy read, it’s undemanding, and it’s sheer good fun. It’s one of those books that give you a lift: try reading it if you’re feeling depressed – I promise you’ll end up with a smile on your face.
on 8 October 2007
I really liked this story which I think perfectly captures the mood of Christmas with some larger than life characters. Hats off to the author.