on 29 November 2014
I read At the Loch of the Green Corrie just after losing my father, and every page brought me back to the lochs, hills, pals and drams of fine fishermen and great people. An absorbing tribute to Norman MacCaig, Highland landscape, and memory that both broke my heart and lifted my soul.
on 18 April 2012
Not just a book about fishing and a poet but about all of us as human beings - our inner thoughts, shared conversations, impressions and experiences. It is a book of musings, thoughts and conversations; poetry and writing; memories and interpretations; landscapes and looking; friendships and walking; stillness and sharing; placing moments of time and connections; appreciating and respecting. And, if the geology of the Western Highlands of Scotland hold an interest for you then so much the better. Liking fishing or knowing of the poet Norman MacCaig - on whom the book is based - would be an exceptional bonus. Really the fishing just acts as a metaphor for the mind casting back over experiences and the retrieval of memories. As well as perhaps alluding to the patient stillness required to fish and to really look and apopreciate. If only libraries didn't shelve it under poetry/MacCaig.
on 22 April 2010
A beautiful book about a whole range of issues. Although fly fishing is a core ingredient, this book is about so much more. Mr Greig is such a descriptive writer that he very successfully captures the serenity and full splendour of the Western Highlands. I also loved his honesty and intimacy when detailing his relationships with poets, fellow writers, friends, family and lovers. I am now a full convert so the back catalogue awaits.
on 9 November 2013
I do not have any interest in fishing, so was not expecting much delight from this story. What a mistake. Beautifully written,

really interesting tale, of a man finding himself as well as the evasive Loch .Descriptions really do bring the land to life.

If you love Scotland you will not be disappointed by this book, if you do not know Scotland, this will give every encouragement

to go. An experience that I will discover again and again as I reread this book which has really given pause for thought
on 23 May 2013
...musings on philosophy, biography, literature, male friendship, geology, fishing. The long-reaching shadow of poet Norman McCaig prompted this wonderful read and informs it throughout.
on 7 August 2015
A book for the Soul. Enriching, funny, poignant, evocative, and a real Rich read. I have chosen this as a gift for some special people. A wonderful book which remains with you.
on 28 February 2012
a good friend lent me this after I had just come back from a
fishing holiday in Assynt- couldn't believe how much this work meant to me-
immediately bought my own copy. a potent mixture of fishing, poetry and
philosophy - even if you don't fish nor read poetry and don't know where
Assynt is nor what a corrie is- who cares- the human spirit shines through.
on 31 October 2011
A beautifully written book. It is a tribute to the Scottish poet, Norman MacCaig, but is much more than this. It is an absorbing overview of the author's
view on life and his friendship with other men who have been attracted to the cultural group that surrounded MacCaig. Added to this, the author offers a captivating view of the north-west Highlands of Scotland.
on 4 January 2015
A perfect book! Introduced me to Norman MacCaig's poems, which I did not know. I have to go to the Assynt after reading this book.
on 20 February 2013
I enjoyed the book despite poetry not being my thing. That doesn't matter as the characters are human and the story touching.