Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 June 2017
Has the original of this many years ago, and it was a brilliant guide to starting out in photography. This new and updated version is equally good, and can be recommended for anyone wishing to do real photography as opposed to taking selfies on their phone!
on 30 January 2015
Not at all informative. It doesn't set
out any projects or offer any help
on different settings, etc.
Limited use to novices like me...
Avoid...
on 5 June 2017
With keeping for future reference.
on 31 July 2017
Interesting photograpjy book.
on 7 April 2017
Really useful alongside other phot for beginners purchases I made.
on 31 May 2017
Aimed at novice photographers and sometimes stated the obvious. Not bad for a beginner but would impart little or nothing to more experienced photographers.
on 16 September 2007
Perhaps this book is aimed at compact camera users, or should be as it is very much a beginners book. But as a DSLR newbie I found it too time consuming to read as it's rather basic and repetitive, talks about presets which I've no interest in and is rather dull reading for someone with prior knowledge. Could be good for someone who is completely new to photography.

I bought it as it was suggested as a good accompaniment to the Scott Kelby book. The Kelby book is incredibly useful, fun to read and succinct, exactly what I wanted. I don't think this book was a good suggestion for pairing together.
VINE VOICEon 7 October 2009
Cheaper than many books, and just about small enough to take with you on a holiday when you might use the camera, but there are several fairly obvious problems:

In the section about about "How many megapixels", the pictures used to show larger images aren't very informative - the picture suitable for 5x7 prints is about 1.75x2.25, and the one that's apparently OK for 420mm x 594mm is 82mm x 91mm (units swap between inches and mm and you're left to do any conversion yourself). Obviously the full size pics would be too big for the book, but we could have at least a detail to represent the image quality at the size discussed, and/or a picture showing the relative sizes correctly.

In the Memory and Memory cards section, SDHC cards get barely a mention and there's some puzzling maths. We're told that a 16Mb card will hold about 50 standard quality shots and one high-quality shot. Then "A 32Mb card will hold around 10 high-quality shots and a 128Mb around 30." Why the number of shots on a card four times bigger than 32Mb is not "around 40", I have no idea. And it's all pretty irrelevant as a search for SD cards on Amazon failed to find anything smaller than 1Gb (eight times the size of the biggest card discussed in the book).

Zoom lens focal lengths: we're told that focal lengths are specified by comparison with the focal length of 35mm cameras, but this is followed up by "They are indicated on the camera lens in millimetres." The focal lengths shown on the cameras are usually NOT "35mm equivalent", and the book contains quite a few pictures of cameras which prove this point.

"Which computer" page: more outdated information: you're advised to buy a PC with a minimum of around "100 gigabytes (80 Gb)". Yes, it really does suggest that 80 and 100 are the same number! And this in a day and age when it's pretty much impossible to buy a new desktop PC with a hard drive smaller than 250Gb. Then we have "Another item to ensure you have in a PC is a 'fast' processor; the processor does all the computing for you. Intel is a well-known manufacturer that makes Pentium processors while another reputable manufacturer AMD makes Celeron processors." The unnecessary quotes around 'fast' are a classic sign of a writer who doesn't really know his subject, and sure enough AMD don't make Celeron processors - Intel do.

The general advice about taking photos all seems pretty sound, but on topics like composition there's not much that you couldn't lift wholesale from a book from the pre-digital era.

My single experience with the index was poor - on looking up "filters", you only get page numbers for the coverage of special effects filters in image editing software. If you want to find the (skimpy) coverage of the filters that go on the front of lenses, you must look under "lenses" in the index.

This is a fast-changing field and the information at the back of the book says "First published in 2005. This updated edition published in 2008". My guess is that the stale technical numbers are still there from 2005. If you claim that a book about fast-moving technical stuff has been updated, the job needs doing properly.

These may all seem picky little points, but each one does its bit to erode my confidence in the parts of the book where I need help.
on 28 June 2009
I have recently taken the plunge (I`m over 70) and bought a small camera which works with my computer. Starting from scratch, my only demands was to be able to take half decent photos, get them onto my fairly old computer and be able to edit and print them out. This book gave me a good grounding in the camera side, but didn`t cover the computer side. For that I got Everyday Digital Photography on DVD, which works great as I`m lazy and it shows you how to do everything. As a bonus, it also has video tutorials too which are very easy to follow.

I bought a Sandisk 8gb card which holds more than enough photos for my liking, and I can snap away and delete photos on my computer now. A great combination for anyone like myself looking for a great start, I got a Canon Ixus 80 which is a lovely little camera and takes stunning photos. WIth the Sandisk, this book and the DVD you have a fabulous setup.
on 18 July 2008
I took up digital photography recently and bought this book, after been diappointed with another photo book.
This book is a must for the person new at digital photography. It goes hand in hand with my Canon 400D.
The book is very up to date,last published in 2008. I wanted how to learn how to take good photos and not just how to work in the dark room or editing pics etc;
I wasn't diappointed. This covers the purchase of a camera, the lens you need, other accessories, photo techniques etc; There are even tips on most of the pages, things to do and not do!
This book is a great reference and a valuable read for the photographer.

I highly recommend this book, especially for the beginner to digital photography.