on 18 August 2017
This book is rubbish. The explanation of how aircraft fly is completely wrong ( faster over the top ) and typical of the slapdash approach disregarding the physics. Most explanations are muddled and have no clear visualisation. Her description of lightning conductors shows no basic knowledge of electric fields and capacitance of bodies and degenerates to old wives tales.
There is a lack of grasp of fundamentals that leads to distrust of "the facts" she presents. Basically she is wrong and muddled on stuff I do know, so I don't trust her on stuff I don't know.
A good book for rousing your ire, causing annotations on every page and enabling clear thinking to sort out the muddle.
on 4 December 2017
Really great little book. I used to love physics at school, but it was very hard going! This is really really helpful. A bit late for me maybe in terms of getting in to physics as a job, but the ideas are explained so clearly. Highly recommended. Thank you!
on 24 November 2013
I bought this book as I wanted to find out more about the sciences.
I have that this has for me been a very readable and entertaining primer on physics. It is not I know of a substantial academic nature but has suited me down to a T. I just wanted an overview and I have had that.
Really pleased I bought this for my Kindle and is the first book that I have read on it.
on 28 February 2015
Very well explained - and enjoyed the writing style
on 24 April 2015
the recipient liked it and found it useful
on 7 May 2015
very interesting
on 26 January 2013
Rated as very good by husband is very much a physics man who is using it for his bedtime reading!
on 10 December 2014
Brilliant range of books which paraphrase ideas on different topics. Superb references for keeping up with frontier physics and maths and other subjects.
on 8 December 2013
Would have liked to see slightly more explanation on each subject
It feels like multiple article snippets from Wikipedia glued together
on 5 September 2014
Good ideas explained well however using equations would make it easier to follow
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse