on 21 January 2015
As an adult I didn't need need the extra information about how parchment was prepared and monks in the scriptorium, but that is only a small part of the book. The drawings are enough to keep any crayon-wielding adult engrossed for a long time. There a lot of detailed outline drawlings.
I have one difficulty - with the coloured pencils that I use (Faber Castell polychronomos) I find it difficult to colour a large area smoothly - it always looks blotchy. That must be due simply to the combination of my particular pencils with the paper, but the paper in itself feels to be good quality.
on 26 January 2016
Large designs suitable for children. Adults might want something a little more demanding if just buying for colouring in purposes.
on 24 December 2012
Very good book.
Once you have it, make copies or even better, scan its pages so you can have endless blank printouts for your students, friends, children to color them, as once you start colouring it you will have no more.
on 6 February 2016
thought I would try this book, disappointed, lots of thick black blocks,and not much detail.
on 1 September 2014
interesting designs and educational too
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 June 2013
Top tip from Herve about scanning the book! The outlines are bold and clear despite the intricacies of the designs. This one is better than the similar-looking "Dover" publications Color Your Own Book of Kells (Coloring Books) as the selections are more charming, better suited to children and have little informative notes next to them. I particularly like the drawings (also for colouring in) of monks at work in the scriptorium, in the last few pages.

I bought this book as a present for a ten-year old with high-functioning Aspergers and a touch of OCD. Brilliant! At first she was a little fazed at being given a colouring book (I mean, like, at her age!) then her eyes lit up and she said "but it's all PATTERNS".

My only reservation is that the quality of the outlines is a bit "handmade" looking, with occasional irregularities. But that only bothered me. Suitable for older children and also useful as a source book for students.
on 31 January 2014
I should have looked at what was on offer more carefully. I was expecting pieces of text, suitable for careful and detailed painting, but the book was more suitable for youngsters as there were patterns, words and pictures of symbols and monks.