on 23 August 2010
I actually bought this dvd from a local store for 99p and my grandson Harry absolutely loves it but after playing it only once the picture starts to break up and stop working....i thought it was my dvd player so i cleaned the disc and it played ok, only to do the same again after a few plays.i have bought 6 more to which they all do the same...its such a pity as i also bought row row row the boat which has the same children and presenter on, which is also loved by my 19 mth old grandson who stands by the tv trying to copy the actions.This copy is fine so there is definately a production problem.....but the content is geat when i manage to get one of my copies to play!!!!!!!
55 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 February 2013
The main reason I went with the 4+ reviews and bought this, was for the dancing aspect. The blurb suggests it's 'songs to sing and dance to'. Something my 5 yr-old girl could watch, sing along with, yet also be up off the sofa and be moving. I assumed the dancing wasn't merely the viewers made-up steps, but rather dance steps to follow.

The dance steps are a little fast and the camera angles didn't help. However, my real problem with the format is that there's a lot of filler without any singing or dancing. Other times it was simply a group of children singing. Mostly unsmiling.

The best I can say is that the singing was not annoying. But it wasn't worth the cost for the lacklustre songs, let alone for the supposed dancing. It was just okay.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 November 2010
My 2 year old son recently obtained a baby brother so needed a new primary caregiver. Enter this DVD and it's sister 'Row, Row, Row the Boat'.

Personally I found it almost painfully cringeworthy the first 50 or so times I watched it. Luckily the intended audience found it spellbinding, but not so spellbinding he sits open mouthed while his brain slowly deteriorates and his bottom spreads to match that of mine in width. Oh no, he sings, dances and shows off his many, many gifts all whilst not destroying my house or asking me to play with him.

In short, this DVD is great and highly recommended, be warned you shall be singing annoying nursery rhymes for days after watching it but nobody will notice, they'll be too busy commenting on the weetabix splattered artfully down your trouser leg.

Ah, the joys of children.

Seriously though, get the DVD, it's brilliant.
22 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 January 2017
I bought this dvd and twinkle twinkle little star for my 10 month old grand-daughter - she absolutely adores it and as soon as she arrives at my house, she points to the tv and wants to bob along to the music. No other DVDs or programs will do - it's Tony and the kids she enjoys! It's a great way for her to hear the English language as we live in Italy and I'm the only person who speaks to her in English. I'm so thankful for these DVDs as they help me enormously in my baby sitting duties whilst her parents are at work and give me a bit of a break! It's lovely to sing along to the old songs and nursery rhymes and to see my little grand-daughter clapping her hands and smiling. I reckon her first words will be "the wheels on the bus go round and round"! Well done to the producers and all who helped make these DVDs.
on 17 October 2012
This DVD has been a fantastic hit for my 2 year old. I think some of the bad reviews are from people who don't have any imagination or sense of humour. The main man who sings is entertaining for the children and him dressing up in some of the songs is funny and so is the accent he uses in some songs, someone said its bordering on racism, no its not, it's just fun for the kids.

I think some parents just put it on and leave their very young kids alone to watch it and then criticise when they walk in and wonder why they don't get into it.

From the moment I put it on I stayed with my toddler and sang and danced with him and this interaction and enthusiasm encouraged my child to enjoy it and he now asks for me to put it on and sometimes he sings and dances to it with his other toddler cousins, they love it.

I will def be getting the row, row, row your boat.

I will agree with some of the comments that some of the kids in the DVD do sometimes look a bit stiff and don't look into it, yes they could had been more upbeat and danced more in some of the songs, but overall it's a good DVD and the main thing is my little one likes it and so do other toddlers who come over.
on 14 September 2014
I bought this DVD for my little girl who is 21 months old. When I first started watching this DVD I have to be honest and say that I wondered what I had bought, however I am thrilled to say that my daughter absolutely LOVES this DVD to the point that she will watch it all the way through and then want it on again! It's the first thing she wants on in the morning and the last thing she watches before bed. She never used to like watching TV but she certainly does now! It's great when I need to be getting on with some tidying up or washing up etc because I can leave her to watch this DVD until I've finished.
The presenter is a bit cheesey but I guess he has to be a bit 'over the top' as he is presenting to children and kids like that sort of thing. I can't fault him for being enthusiastic anyway. I give it 5 stars because my daughter absolutely loves it and it keeps her entertained. I have already bought another 2 DVDs in the series - I'm sure my daughter will love them as well !!!
on 6 November 2011
This is a great dvd for kids, my 4 year old grandchildren and little mates love it. Especially the fact that children are singing in it. Would give it 5 stars for their enjoyment, but have had to knock it down to 4 because of the adult 'lead'. I have to ask - Is it a pre-requisite for children's entertainers to act as they inhabit a separate universe (not even planet) to the rest of the adult population? So if you have to sing along with your little ones, make sure you can hold a straight face. Saying all of this, will definitely be ordering more for christmas presents.
on 5 September 2013
I bought this for when I have my grand daughter at my house. It was an instant success and I'm surprised the DVD player hasn't worn out. My 2 yr old grand daughter absolutely loves it and I think this is down to the characters (children and adult), locations and fun themes. I have another nursery rhymes DVD which is completely animated and although it has many of the same songs, she's not at all interested in it. On first watching, this DVD along with The Wheels on the Bus and Row your Boat was so well loved that at the end of the day when was time for my grand daughter to go home - the DVDs had to go home with her. I think her parents thought I'd played a cruel joke on them after they'd had to endure the DVDs for the umpteenth time.....but now, they like me have also become quite fond of the rather 'stage school' children and the very silly (almost cringe worthy) adult character...you grow to love them!!! :)
on 23 November 2017
I have bought many of these DVDs, for my house for when the grandchildren visit and for their houses also. From young babies to older children they all love to sit and watch the children sing and dance and are mesmerized. It is lovely when they get up and join in the actions and songs. For a small stage school I think they do a great job and you can see how much fun they had making the DVDs.
on 12 February 2012
I hate to say it but my toddlers love it. I think it is appalling, but then it's not designed for adult enjoyment (and just as well).

I agree with the reviewers who pointed out the unnecessary use of drag and the chin-on-the-floor racist moment. Did no-one raise a hand and suggest an alternative? No-one? Really?!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse