Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2015
Barbara Ehrenreich rips apart America's cultish obsession with optimism and positive thinking. Exploring its historic roots, evolution and consequences, Ehrenreich exposes the weaknesses, absurdities and dangers of embracing the Pollyanna world view. Always entertaining, Ehrenreich's book is enlightening, thought provoking and important.
on 8 June 2017
a great book with lot's of information's about the dictatorship of the positive thinking , a must read for everyone who's feed up about being made social outcast by those from the ha, ha , ha and hi. hi , hi society always presenting a false self.
on 5 January 2013
I have long disputed the 'Think Positive' mantra and this book put into words what I could not. Well worth reading
on 6 April 2010
Ehrenreich came face to face with the subject of positive thinking when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Buried under an avalanche of pink ribbons, teddy bears, and bogus claims for the value of positive thinking in beating cancer (hence the title Smile or Die!) she began to look into the pervasiveness of positive think-ism in American society in her usual thorough, good humoured and insightful manner.

It is everywhere. There are "Christian" denominations that are devoted to it that offer a materialist heaven on earth - "God wants you to be rich!" Self help (or help yourself) manuals that claim that one has only to imagine wealth, have a picture board of desired consumer durables to worship every morning, and before you know it . . . In the workplace, personal relations and politics the power of positive thinking is privileged over rational and sceptical thinking.

Most disturbingly of all, the American Psychological Association is up to its neck in positive think-ism. The interview that Ehrenreich conducts with their president Martin Segilman is notable, in that her scepticism - which ought to be welcomed by a scientist - turns this guru of positive thinking into an ill mannered and ratty prima donna. His happiness equation, apart from its laughably unscientific nature, posits that someone's circumstances will have a minimal effect on their feelings of happiness or unhappiness: it is all in the mind. A cheap and cheerful solution, and no doubt a great relief to the rich who might think negatively about the implications for their tax rates of improving the social circumstances of the majority. Ehrenreich also covers the origins of this malign mania, and quite plausibly and with plenty of evidence, roots it in the Calvinist beliefs that would have been pervasive in Americans original northern European colonisers and migrants.

The self absorbed examination and policing of ones thoughts, the obsession with personal and often financial gain, the exhortations to cut all negative people out of your life (sceptics? a clinically depressed relative or friend?) seems to me to be essentially onanistic, insular and deeply pernicious doctrine. No need to think about wider economic, political and social questions either: just think positive . . . even fake it . . . and everything will be all right. Ehrenreich's brilliant book is the antidote to this nonsense, one that empowers you to think critically about positive thinking, that will make you smile too. It deserves a wide readership.
I just love the concept of this book.

The way that positive thinking is used by some people to spare themselves from having to listen to you, help you or really try to understand the reality of illness when you are seriously ill is something that comes up a lot in the chat groups for ill people I am a member of. On the surface they are being kind and offering you 'positive thoughts' but it is really about this serving their needs rather than yours.

Expressing legitimate anger is helpful and necessary. If you do this it passes quickly! Far better to vent for a little while to friends who understand than to repress all your feelings and so end up feeling unhappy far longer, in the end.

The chapter on positive thinking and illness was good but really only scratched the surface. I was somewhat disappointed by it as there was so much that could have been said on this topic and I'd have loved lots more comments on this topic to have been in the book. But then I am biased and this is a special interest subject of mine and probably this short chapter was more than enough for the average reader, so fair enough.

The way the author ties in positive thinking brainwashing to political apathy in the last chapter was very well done too and I couldn't agree more with her conclusions. As someone involved in trying to fire people up to participate in activism I absolutely find the 'nicey nicey at all costs' mindlessly positive attitude to be an enormous obstacle in effecting real positive change. Just enormous.

I highly recommend at least searching your local library for a copy of this book, it deserves to be widely read.
on 17 July 2017
Ehrenreich cuts through all the crap in this forensic study of the so-called "success" through the "law of attraction" cult-cum-business. She explains, in simple direct terms, the origins and uses of this phenomenon. As a scientist, she debunks the claims made by proponents of the positive thinking industry but acknowledges its uses for those whose occupations expose them to daily and unremitting rejection (like salespeople). She doesn't recommend it though! If you want to check how much you have been sold the positive thinking story, just check out how many books you've bought/read that include the word "you" or "your" in the title. This book is a fine innoculation against the viral, and flawed, thinking that those positive thinking gurus drone on about.
on 11 January 2010
Having read 'Who moved my Cheese?'/ Authentic Happiness etc with makes happiness seem so easy to attain , just an attitude really, it is most refreshing to read 'Smile or Die' which comes across as a well researched and clear thinking explanation of how being a realist is more likely to succeed than the endless Pollyanism of Positive Psychology. I was totally enthralled by Seligman's 'Authentic Happiness' and its ideas,even though it didn't seem to work . It must be me, I thought. However, I realise that all emotions, whether joyful or painful, are markers that point out what is/isn't happening in our lives. In her thought provoking study, Ehrenreich neatly lays out the 'Quo bono' question? Who benefits from Positive Psychology ? Big business and the state! WHo pays for research into Positive Psychology? Big business. Why would they do this apart, from humanitarian motives, wanting to share the 'good' attitudes that got them their megabucks, with the rest of us? Well no actually. The writer points out the rather sinister lining behind the 'positive' facade, showing how brain washing under the Shah and in Korea meant that if you questioned the status quo, the poverty and brutality that existed you were spreading defeatism which was a punishable crime. She points out how financial realists such as Gelbrand, who ran the property section of Lehmans were already pointing out that they seriously needed to rethink their 'positive pollyana' attitude, as early as 2006. The CEO, fired him for being negative! She points out that anxiety and realism are tools that help us to survive rather than hinder us. That unchecked optimism that is not based on fact is an undesirable and often dangerous attitude. After all who would go to sea in a storm without safety rafts,flares etc and feel at ease... a child perhaps ? Ehrenreich clearly illustrates how the assumption that 'positive' = good and desirable, has helped us get into the mess we are in at the moment. As she says, if we realistically examine our circumstances, we have far more chance of putting things right and so being happy. As a Psychotherapist and someone interested in living life to the full, I would highly recommend this book.
22 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2011
Having just finished Smile or Die and I have to say I found it a joy to read. It is impeccably well researched and written in a balanced, engaging way. The only point I would call referee on is Ehenreich's seeming conviction that antidepressants have been perfected and that talk therapy has been finally displaced by them.

As an instance of this, I quote her on page 149 (of my 2010 UK paperback edition) as saying, "Effective antidepressants had become available at the end of the 1980's and these could be prescribed by a primary care physician after a 10 minute diagnostic interview, so what was left for a psychologist to do?" She elsewhere acknowledges that the US currently consumes two thirds of the world supply of antidepressants (page 3). It's strange that she doesn't ask the obvious question: if antidepressants are so effective then why is the US not the happiest and most mentally balanced place on earth? Why, as antidepressants are been prescribed like sweets, are mental distress rates going through the roof in recent years there? The jury is still out on the benefits and limitations of currently available antidepressants at the time of writing.

The corollary of this is the omission of an examination of cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), as another reviewer has noted. CBT is a mainstream psychological treatment that is a lot older (dating to the 1970's) and much more influential (currently it is highly regarded by national and international health organisations) than positive psychology. It has a lot of empirical studies attempting to measure its effectiveness against other talk therapies and against medication for a variety of mental disorders. The cognitive aspect of it is heavily invested in thought monitoring and thought management. It seeks to identify and replace various 'negative' thoughts (which, according the theory, 'cause' negative feelings) with broadly 'positive', constructive thoughts. For instance, check out David D. Burns' "Feeling Good" to see this presented. Most crucially, it locates a person's mental problems in the person's own head, and places the burden on the patient to "work on" and "fix" their own "faulty" thinking patterns. Although CBT is more sophisticated than the more dumbed-down positivity streams, it bears some striking resemblances to this conceptual gene pool. This is right in the territory of Ehrenreich's book, but it is overlooked.

Crucially, CBT typically balances the cognitive "thought monitoring/thought management" aspect with an action orientated behavioral therapy element. This is closer to where Ehrenreich sees the right location for one's energies to be targeted, albeit she would urge community-based collective action while CBT usually urges individualist efforts. A critical review of this topic and its place within her thesis would have been fitting, but we will have to seek it elsewhere it seems.
on 6 September 2010
There are many learned contributions to the reviews here but little personal experience, so as I am not very learned I am going to try to fill that gap.
I was brought up by christian scientists and was fascinated to see that their religion was an instigator of this Positive thinking movement. I always knew I had problems with people advocating it as a cure for cancer, but was unaware that my experience was so relevent.
My mother died at the age of 58 from cancer. By chance my brother took the call that gave the diagnosis as CLL, our father would never has passed on the news as it represented 'mortal mind', that bugbear of a christian science outlook on life and rightly equated with 'negative thought'. CLL is currently controlled by treatment, but I have no idea how well medical science would have done in 1977 when my mother died. I do know however that she would have died in a more supportive compassionate environment and would not have said to me a week before she died 'I feel I'm letting everyone down'. At the time she was in great pain, her body was distended by the cancer so that she looked pregnant, she was throwing up blood - and this is only what I know, what she let me know. My father died at the age of 75 from an undiagnosed cancer in his abdomen - my doctor thought it most likely an untreated prostate cancer. His own father had been treated for this in the conventional manner and had gone on to live to 96.
My father adopted christian science as a young man of 19, just before he went to war. Many of us have a well developed world view when we are 19. The difference is that we let experience and the experience of others adapt our thoughts and occasionally bring us back to reality from our fantasy and wish-fulfilment. A christian scientist - as a positive thinker - must reject any challenge to their views.
This is the key value of this book and the questioning of Positive thinking. We must never give up our ability to think critically. If you are interested I was 22 when my mother died and I have now been christian science free for 34 years!!
VINE VOICEon 6 September 2010
One phrase I'd always liked was 'a cynic is only what an optimist calls a realist' and this book just bears that out. What it shows is that perky optimism is all very well but if it precludes the consideration of facts or contrary evidence then it can be very dangerous.
It is all very well to be positive but what it does show all well is that a culture of ONLY seeing the good stuff had led to some very disturbing trends like staff being pushed out if they don't toe the party happy line or even a possible contributor to the global financial meltdown we've just had
Its very readable and makes it points very clearly - I suppose that its not a license to be a grumpy old man but it does say its OK to recognise that there are minus points in any given situation and these should be considered
So it positively OK to be a pessimist .. lol