Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 December 2013
I'm really enjoying reading this book, it's lovely to read the anecdotes about birds the author cohabited with, it illustrates beautifully their inherent intelligence & how much we under-estimate the species we have living alongside us. I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who admires corvids & everyone who doesn't yet!
on 19 January 2017
I just adore Esther Woolfson and this is hands down my favourite ever book. Her combination of historical research, biological facts, advice on caring for and watching birds is wonderful and her relationship with Chicken is so evocative.

I tweeted her and she responded to me, one of the best days of my life!
on 29 May 2014
I loved this book. She is such a good writer and has such a story to tell of sharing the family home with a collection of individual characters in the form of birds who seem to have as much personality as more regular house guests! I am going to buy a copy of it for my friends who read when next a present is required.
on 7 April 2013
Esther Woolfson writes knowledgably and lovingly about the birds in her life and around her home and garden. She weaves in tales of the exotic,the amazing and the small important things in a crow's life. It reminds me of what an amazing world we live in and how often we just don't see what goes on around us .
on 14 July 2013
I did enjoy the book enormously
I have always found corvids fascinating. My grand daughter Maria was imitating the high sky cry when she moved to Russia, and St Petersburg from my house where she was born and learnt to imitate the crows. Their kaa kaa in the sky above my fields reminds me of summer.
on 23 September 2015
A rather long account of living with corvids roaming freely around the house. It is full of interesting insights into the habits and personalities of the birds plus somewhat serious avian facts. The author's house must have often been a mess! Not a lifestyle that many readers will wish to emulate.
on 15 May 2015
This is such a wonderful book. Very touching and will surely have many folk regarding corvids in a totally different light. Having put out bird seed and ground feed for years we are suddenly getting rooks, carrion crows, magpies and jackdaws in the garden. Marvellous.
on 8 July 2015
The personal story was wonderful and the descriptions of bird behaviour. What I found difficult was the timeline. It seemed to dodge back and forth and then there were long passages giving scientific opinion etc. It could perhaps have been split into two books.
on 7 August 2014
A great book. A beautifully written mixture of anecdote and review of the scientific literature about the birds Woolfson loves and has lived with. She challenges the way we think about birds and the hierarchies we have constructed which put humans at the top.
on 12 May 2013
A beautifully written book calling on the authors love of wild life and especially that of birds.Her description of life spent with a tame rook which is taken into the family when a young chick Is a joy to read.A book to pick up and read again and again.