on 12 November 2016
Well observed and written. Some may see CH point of view as old fashioned - the more mature should consider whether our present experience of life with all our "progress" is happier, healthier or more fulfilling than when we had less choice, more structure and a less material focus. I appreciate that there are a few people such as PH who are prepared to look beyond the accepted "wisdom" of those who hold the power in society and have the ability to analyse and write with clarity and authenticity. I also like the way that facts are deployed to back up positions and views. I may not agree with all the conclusions and viewpoints but all are well argued, have the feel of honesty and concern for the bigger picture beyond the short term pragmatism of our present materialist focus.
Our much vaunted "young people" with (as we all had) idealistic, impractical and ill thought through views, which are supposed to respect and act upon, should read this book. Peter Hitchens is an ex communist who, having now experienced life (including living in the Soviet Union) and gained some wisdom and perspective now sees "the error of his ways" and is now considered "right wing". He is actually a conservative (with a very small "c") Christian patriot who probably reflects an increasingly significant proportion of the British public.
on 15 September 2017
When you read a mediocre book for a second time you get less out than the first time but with a very good book it is otherwise. On finishing The Abolition of Britain the enormity of what has occurred really hit home for the first time. I knew at least the bones of the story, the revolution in religion and morals, television, education, housing and cars, and since I was born in 1958 I was old enough to have been vividly aware that what had happened was extraordinary and in the main wrong. But this book brings all these threads together and more to produce a powerful whole.

The author thinks the book only "quite good" and I am sure he has his reasons saying that only the chapter comparing the funerals of Churchill and Diana would he leave unchanged. I found his chapter about the Church of England particularly interesting but what impressed me most perhaps was his chapter on the de-stigmatizing of the unmarried mother. I haven't read widely about the history of this topic but I would nevertheless be at least a little surprised if any one has done a better job (or even, it is slightly more than theoretically possible, any job). In fact I found myself consulting this chapter for support when I got involved in an on-line argument.

There is nobody, living or dead, quite like Peter Hitchens nor anyone who can answer his arguments. He has written excellent, well-researched books about some of the subjects covered in the Abolition of Britain: politics, the mythical war on drugs and crime, which are all well worth reading (and re-reading) and is now writing an epitaph (I think) for Britain, which I await expectantly.
on 11 August 2016
A superb book. As a young student of Politics and a keen historian, I cannot recommend this book more highly.

Thank you, Peter. Although I doubt it will penetrate your shell of cautious pessimism, I can assure you that there are many many young people who share your views and values. Please go on writing and speaking for as long as possible.
on 18 November 2015
Brilliant well thought out book by a journalist of exquisite class and experience. An inspiration !
on 2 August 2017
man's a genius he's not wrong
on 18 January 2017
A catalogue of a nations' death by a thousand cuts. Betrayed by its upper class and duplicitous and virtually communist politicians following the sacrifices the people made throughout the war. Very sad reading indeed.
33 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 July 2017
If you have a love for this country and its history and are troubled as to how we have lost our way, then this book is all you will ever need
on 2 February 2014
Hitchens is a favourite commentator of mine, in that he is unafraid to speak out against the Political correct madness in the UK. His analysis of how Britain has declined over the last 5 decades is an honest and truthful reflection. I salute him for it
on 5 December 2016
The decline was inevitable but did not have to be with a hollowing out of morals .I sometimes wonder if its my age but PH reminds me that things have happened which should have been avoided.The decline in ethics is the biggest single thing which has caused the degradation.PH uses a different language to me but its the same really.He writes in a very lovely way about the funeral of Churchill and I remember that people were kinder , much nicer then.The Christian foundations are slipping and that was done without our consent.
Maybe one day he will update this
on 19 June 2016
A truly eye-opening book about the social and cultural decline of the UK, from the collapse of educational standards to the coarsening of everyday behaviour. Peter Hitchens is an astute and informed observer, and he writes with eloquence and passion. This is a lament for the country we once were and the values we abandoned so carelessly. Its sentiments will be shared by millions. I cannot recommend it strongly enough, and it deserves the widest circulation.