Customer reviews

on 11 November 2011
On how many occasions can one say that philosophy is highly entertaining? This book manages to discuss very complex ideas in a clear, amusing, and thought provoking way. Most of the chapters tackle a broadly defined `classic' area, such as morality, inductive reasoning, and infinity, and within this area alight on some of the key philosophical questions, puzzles, and paradoxes. Where there are clear answers, Cave gives them, where there are no clear answers, he is content to leave us in enlightened perplexity rather than false certainty - in either event much light is shed on the issues.

In the last two chapters, Cave tackles the puzzles that don't fit so neatly into categories, but this, for me, provides perhaps the most rewarding part of the book; here we get fascinating discussions of everything from love, and the meaning of life, to the (real?) emotions we have towards things that don't exist - fictions.

I agree with other reviewers that this book is more advanced than his earlier ones, but whether you want to start here or not is really a matter of whether you like to jump in more towards the deep end rather than the shallows. If you are unsure, why not ty out a few pages from this in a real bookshop?!
on 31 December 2015
A great read
on 8 August 2011
First, an admission; I only managed to struggle halfway through this book before giving up. The "philosophical paradoxes" certainly didn't have me scratching my head nor "putting my mind to the test". Chapters four and five, for example, strike me as particularly mundane treatments of what could and should be truly thought-provoking aspects of the mathematics of infinity, converging series, calculus and the like.

Chapter six's deliberations on black ravens and the possible classifications of non-black objects finally prompted me to call time. Life's just too short.