on 14 March 2012
The Author declares herself as prejudiced and having a non-philosophical background at the start of the book, a trick which provides her the chance use to use criticism(Philosophical Guidance?) rather rather than critical examination. The book suffers due to this and it is tortuously heavy going to cut to the books chase, and for this reason some may see it as a wasted opportunity.

This book is not a good introduction to ethics(Neo-pagan or otherwise), although I think it was intended as such, nor does it, due to its rambling prose, present a clear argument for virtue ethics and it would have been good to see how the authors version of virtue ethics actually worked to answer some ethical/moral puzzles('The trolley puzzle' for instance) rather than just offering rhetorical polemic after rhetorical polemic to the reader.

The one thing this book does have going for it is that there is probably no other book in its category of 'Neo-pagan Ethics', and for that I would recommend it to Neo-pagans who want to look a little bit closer at their own 'Neo-paganism'. For this reason alone I mark it up to 3 stars.
on 6 March 2014
I love to read this author's work as she makes me think. Sometimes it can get uncomfortable, the implications of being a fully concious person mean many issues have to be addressed. Mindful treatment of all life coupled with care and thoughtfulness in all areas of everyday living can and is very difficult to achieve, but Emma doesn't compromise. I like that honesty and I just hope that issues raised within this book can and will be discussed among a vast number of people and institutions including our education system.
on 4 November 2015
An inspiring and thought-provoking book that is easy to read and offers many gems. Highly recommended to those with an open mind, willing to have their own honour, values and beliefs challenged in a positive way.
on 12 March 2016
Emma is a magnetic and thought provoking writer
VINE VOICEon 2 July 2010
As a relative newbie to the pagan paths I've been reading around the subject.

I have to say that I found this book quite heavy going - in fact I couldn't read more than a couple of sections at a time without having something a little lighter to balance things up, at first i thought that was because I was uncomfortable with what I was reading but over time I realised it was because I couldn't absorb so much information in a single sitting.

Yes it is uncomfortable to have your comfort zone put under pressure but if we are to understand the role of paganism in the 21st century then this is surely an important book.

No I don't necessarily agree with every position that Emma Restall Orr has taken but isn't that one reason for reading a book like this - it isn't a bible where laws are passed down but it is an impassioned statement of one person's position (albeit an important person in the pagan world - if that makes sense).

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants or needs to place their path in a modern setting..... I will read it again in a little while to see if I still feel the same.
on 21 October 2008
This is a long awaited book for druids and pagans. For those who are weekend pagans and those that are the pink and fluffy variety.....you will find this book a real challenge.....this book is long over due, and much needed within pagan circles of today. this will certainly sort the wheat from the chaff, it knocks you right out of your comfort zone. Now I'm not being negative, this is a fantastic work by Emma Restall-Orr and will enrich your sacred path,Emma tells it how it is with great integrity,and academic prowess.Johno.
on 5 December 2011
Living with honour is one of the best pagan books I have read. Extremely thought provoking. Well written. One of those books I know I will pick up and read again.
on 11 December 2009
An outstanding book! I purchased this as I thought I had mislaid my original copy. I found the original, so this copy has been passed on to a good friend who will, I hope, get as much out of it as I have. There are a great number of 101 introduction books about various Pagan paths and Paganism. Finding a book that challenges Pagans to examine the deeper aspects of their spirituality (even if they sometimes disagree with the author) is of immense value. I am very grateful to Emma Restall Orr for writing a book that finally moves Pagan thought beyond the 'nuts and bolts basics' and challenges us to consider what constitutes our various Pagan ethics.

In her book 'Living with Honour- a Pagan Ethics', Emma Restall Orr invites us to consider areas of ethics included Human relationship, The Value of Human Life, The Value of Non Human life, The Value of the environment and The Value of the web. I found the arguments well presented and thought provoking.

Emma Restall Orr makes a definite point of owning her perspectives and alerting the reader to the fact that her views are not to be taken as generic for all Pagans. In doing so, I feel she invites us to consider her words and acknowledges the diversity of Pagan thought whilst challenging us to actually engage in thought on the deeper implications of what it means to live fully as a Pagan instead of working through the 101 introductions and leaving our Pagan paths there. For me, 'Living with Honour- a Pagan Ethics' is a literary indication that following a Pagan path goes much deeper than meeting up for rituals or social gatherings. I very much look forward to reading more works of this calibre and I understand that Emma Restall Orr's book Kissing the Hag Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women is equally thought provoking. I'll be adding Kissing the Hag to my reading list and expect to be doing the same for future books by this author.
One person found this helpful
on 4 June 2010
Emma Restall-Orr (ERO) is a wonderful ambassador for the pagan community and has devoted a lot of hard work to our community. Without her, much which we depend on wouldn't happen. She's also one of the few British pagans who's capable of going on tv without appearing to be either a loon or an idiot. However, she isn't a philosopher nor would she pass muster as an average newspaper columnist. Because of this - this book is a great idea wasted.

EOR aims to apply "neopagan" (and more specifically her take on neo-druidism) to modern ethical matters. This is an interesting proposition. However, she lacks the ability of all good philosophers to self-critique their ideas and judgements. Because of this, the book is full of empty and groundless assertions and rather shallow takes on complex issues. This might make some of the pagan community feel a little bit better about themselves - but it's hardly a serious book on ethical philosophy (despite its asperations). There are attempts to link to more traditional philosophy but these come across as shallow attempts to add gravitas (it's a bit like an A level philosophy student's essay)

Don't get me wrong - as a "pagan" myself - I agree with much of what she writes (but not all). However, a book of philosophy needs so much more than this. This book would have been so much more if there was a second author with a bit more philosophical sophistication. Instead, it's worth a read (just) but a rather frustrating and exasperating experience.
19 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2008
Living with Honour is a courageous attempt to deliver something that has not been offered by a pagan author before... a realistic and thoroughly honest evaluation of the path she has made her own. Potential readers will be sent on a breathtaking journey into the oft misunderstood world (s) of paganism and what it actually means to take that world seriously: to live in it, celebrate it, dance with it, argue with it, and allow its charms as well infuriation's to mould one's life. This book will help any reader not just to understand paganism at a deeper level, but also to make meaning out of life on this beautiful, yet messy and painful planet. The author leaves no stone un-turned and, while seeing all such `stones' as strangely sacred, does not shirk at offering necessary criticisms as well as hearty praise. Finally, as with all of Bobcat's books, this volume is written with poetry and warm humanity that makes it sumptuous and quite uncommon for the world of theoretical non-fiction.
Mark Townsend