Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 March 2017
I originally read the Harry Potter books as they were published and thoroughly enjoyed them and as I enjoy books about books I thought I'd try this one. It is a truly fascinating look at the alchemical symbolism which lies behind the series. It also looks at other symbolism in the stories and goes some way towards explaining the huge popularity of the books. Oddly enough I don't normally enjoy books in the fantasy genre but this series has something more in it than the usual sword and sorcery elements of many fantasy series.

This book looks at the archetypal characters which populate Hogwarts and the wizarding world and shows how the good and evil are pitted against each other in a battle to the death. It explains how the books give good examples of how to deal with problems in real life and how with knowledge comes both power and responsibility. Harry doesn't always get it right and must suffer punishment for his mistakes. Many characters aren't just good or evil but a mixture of the two.

I found this book totally fascinating and it has prompted me to re-read - or rather listen to - the Harry Potter books again with a new understanding of the symbolism behind them and the way they tap into our culture and the unconscious.
on 5 October 2008
This is a really good read: both deeply informed but fun. Geo Trevarthen has revealed that much of Harry Potter's magical world is also to be found in shamanic traditions (which I always suspected). The appeal of the books and films must surely be partly due to a half-buried sense that yes, given the right conditions, magic could really work - and yes, shamanic practitioners did and still do it!
on 15 August 2008
I approached this book with some trepidation wondering if it would be stretching its themes of philosophy, psychology, symbols and mythical aspects a bit thin but it soon becomes clear that there's plenty for Dr Trevarthen to work with. She's done an excellent job at revealing dozens of aspects of the Harry Potter books which are both subtle and powerful aspects to the plot and character development but which are almost totally invisible unless you are looking for them.
Whether or not J. K. Rowing intended this underlying depth or not (and this book is respectful in not speculating) it becomes more and more obvious that either Rowling knows a great deal more about myth, alchemy and what Joseph Campbell called 'The Hero's Journey' than she has previously let on.
I'd recommend it to any Potter enthusiast with a smidgeon of interest in spirituality or the occult - if nothing else, it will inspire you to want to read ALL the books again to find the references and understand what appears to be happening at a deeper level.
on 12 June 2014
couldn't fault this book . informative. precise . fun. wonderful writer who explains but doesn't preach. she leaves us to have our own opinions on what Jk Rowlings may or may not have meant. explores underlying majick and archetypes and offers us her opinions. not really a children's book unless young adult though as some of the psychology etc would need intellect and understanding of a certain level.as an adult HP fan I enjoyed it very much.
on 22 February 2013
Warning!!
The Audio book listed here is NOT an audio version of the Book but of the far poorer DVD of the same title. Seekers Guide to Harry Potter [DVD] [2010] [NTSC] See the author/presenter's own review of the DVD for more. Not sure what Amazon are playing at.
on 4 October 2014
HAVING ONLY JUST WATCHED ALL MY DVDS OF THE MOVIES, PLUS SPECIAL FEATURES, I RE-READ THIS BOOK. AS I HAD WATCHED ALL OF THE FILMS ON T.V. BEFORE SEEING THE LAST ONE AT THE CINEMA A FEW YEARS AGO - I WAS ONLY JUST READY TO WATCH THEM ALL AGAIN, AND 'BACK TO SCHOOL TIME' IS THE PERFECT ATMOSPHERE TO REVISIT HOGWARTS! THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL BOOK ON THE DEEPER ASPECTS OF JK ROWLING'S WRITING.
on 15 July 2013
The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter is a good book, but not as good as I thought it would be, because it is an American book and lacks most of the detail about Harry Potter.
VINE VOICEon 15 June 2014
I really wanted to like this one, and I tried pretty hard, but two chapters and an hour and a half in, I lost the will to live. The author just tries way too hard to make this book seem academic, with a ridiculous amount of references and quotes that jar the flow of writing.

As a final year linguistics student, I practically breathe journal articles, so I know proper academic writing when I see it and this just didn't work for me. Maybe if I'd read it in a few months time after graduation, or before I started my degree, but it didn't didn't feel right, although some of the observations were interesting.