on 27 October 2014
This book has over 800 errors in and is hard to use as you do not know if your correct or the books is.
I got a list of mistakes from Pearson on www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/. but it is still hard.
Doing an Adult learning course and half of us have this incorrect book.
Amazon have tried to get correct copy but they only seem to have the copy with the errors in.
The only way we could tell the difference was on the spin of the book if it says Pearson its the one with the errors if it has a design on bottom of the spin it is the correct one.
on 26 October 2011
We are a home-educating family, and started using this book with our daughter. We now realise we made a mistake by buying this text - it has too little explanation, the worked examples are unnecessarily complex, and too many of the exercises are more complicated than you actually find on the exam paper. (Not to mention a large number of
mistakes in either the text or the answers).

Despite having so many pages, and apparently being so well colour-coded, the explanations of key points are weak, and many sections need some simpler worked examples to help the student 'get the point'. Then there should be more exercises that build on the worked examples - as it is too many of them introduce 'tricky' variations that are too challenging for some students.
55 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2012
I like the general layout and clear organisation of this book and my students also like using it. The grading of questions and examiners tips are very helpful. My only criticism is that I have found a significant number of small errors in the answer section and occasionally in the questions.
on 23 August 2011
Don't be put off by the size of this book. Although it is large, it is not heavy going to read. The extensive use of colours and the way the book is laid out are both distracting at first. Once you get accustomed to what the various colours are used for, it is much easier to navigate your way around the pages. The examples are generally very well laid out, with helpful commentary to explain the steps and things to watch out for. The graded questions are a useful feature. My only criticisms would be that the Key Points features do not stand out sufficiently, and there are not enough questions in the exercises to really test understanding and ability to apply knowledge of the topic.
on 31 January 2014
It really helps you revise for an up coming test. It explains everything really well showing the different methods you can use and then gives you exam practice questions to make sure you understood what you just read and learnt!

It really helps your child for the GCSE especially!
So GO AHEAD AND BUY IT!

I hopes i helped you make a right choice!
on 22 May 2015
I bought this book about 2-3 years ago when I was in year 11 at school to help me prepare for my exams as I had to complete my last year at home due to illness. Overall I found this book very helpful - a lot of the people writing reviews saying that this book "does not explain the process properly" - it is a higher level book and so is designed for students who are aiming for a*,a and b's or those students who have done well at foundation level (like I did myself) and know the techniques of how to work out more basic questions and are now progressing to the next level and expanding their knowledge. If you struggle with this book your best opting for the foundation level book which uses alot more basic examples so it is easier to breakdown and understand how it works. I like to describe Foundation level as walking and Higher level as running - if you don't plan on running before you can walk than this book is great!
on 30 May 2012
General Certificate of Secondary Education

I think this book is excellent, and is sold at an amazing price. For a complete 2 year course in Mathematics, this book is sure to help everyone pass their GCSE easily. Bought to complete General Certificate of Secondary Education early, found it very helpful in understanding difficult Higher Tier Topics. Recommended by a very helpful Maths Teacher, bought this for only £20, and was extremely pleased with it's speedy delivery (UK).

The complete Edexcel course book provides easy-to-understand examples, as well as a range of questions to practice everything covered so far. Another Star-Feature is that there are a few pages at the end of each chapter testing you in an exciting way.
However, this book lacks explanations for a number of topics, and there are a few (supposedly editing/typing) mistakes in the questions.
on 6 December 2014
I think this book is poor. I found that I couldn't totally rely upon the answers being correct , this meant working back from the answer was not really an option. I also found that the examples were not enough or too limited in what they covered, this meant that I could not always teach myself from the book and had to wait to see my tutor. I also found that often the review at the end of the chapter had a question about something not covered in the chapter. I couldn't get on with it.
on 25 August 2015
I used this book to teach my pupils over five years. I really am not sure we found mistakes but all I can say those pupils who had this book and worked through countless problems achieved a grade of B or above. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 17 January 2015
I do not understand how this book can have any good reviews. It is essentially a set of subject areas with extensive sample questions, all of which have answers at the back.

But here is the problem; many of the questions are badly written and far too many of the answers are wrong. This seems to be admitted by the publishers who have produced a lengthy errata sheet (9 densely packed pages); however that does not cover all the errors that exist.

Trying to use this book to learn is a depressing expeience