Format: Board book|Change

on 23 January 2015
One of the best children's books ever. My daughter loved it from aged 1 and still enjoys it ages nearly 4. Very few books have that kind of staying power. The text is enchanting and simple, and the illustrations are very detailed. Every time you read it you find something new, hence its continued appeal. I give this book in board book form any time one of my friends' kids has a special occasion.
on 4 February 2010
I have bought countless copies of this book which my daughter fell in love with at around 18 months and now nearly two tries to recite and have read to her every day. Alison Jay's images in crackle-glaze type style are both beautiful and interesting, not to mention original. THis particular book takes you through the seasons, the cycle of plant and animal life, weather changes and is packed full of little detailsin the corners of every page for children and adults to search out and plenty of heart-warming observational illustrations (a scarf thrown casually over a chair while two cats drink tea before a roaring fire, kids sledding, pumpkins and apples being picked etc.). It felt like I was going back in time in some way. This is quite simply charming, beautiful and poetic.
on 12 August 2016
It is a wonderful book. So gentle and the pictures are marvellous. We enjoy pointing out different objects and animals.
My son has been picking it as his first bedtime story at 19 months, after previously showing little interest.
on 13 February 2013
This is probably the most read book in our house. Not only is it beautifully drawn with evocative text, it seems there is something new each time you read it, something you didn't spot before. My son always chooses which story he wants read aloud and even though i have read it hundreds of times i am always secretly pleased when he chooses this one.
on 24 October 2013
This book has been my son's favorite since he was just one year old. Now that he's four, he doesn't ask for it every single night as he did for a looooong time, but he still comes back to it again and again. And I don't get tired of it, either, because although the book's illustrations seem simple at first glance, they are actually crammed full of tiny details, little jokes and gags, and also sly references to some of Allison Jay's other books. I'll happily buy new copies of this book as gifts for friends, and we'll be keeping our own tattered copy of this book forever.
on 20 October 2010
This book is beautiful!! This was the first 'Alsion Jay' book that I was introduced to..I am now hooked! This book moves gently through the seasons and the illustrations are amazing. Each time you read the book there is something else to spot. Hold the page away and you see that the autumn picture is in the shape of a pumpkin, winter - a snow globe, easter - an egg. Alison Jays books have such a magical feel - just lovely to sit and snuggle with your children/grandchildren etc and get swept away. Don't hestitate to buy it - I will be buying many copies as gifts for young children. Take a look at other books buy Alison jay - you won't be disappointed.
on 5 March 2015
I love books illustrated by Alison Jay; every page has so much to point at and find. My daughter loves them and they are a refreshing alternative to the ordinary Disney type images we see everywhere these days.
on 9 December 2013
Absolute classic in our family. My son now reads it at bedtime stories, as did my daughter when she was little. I have given this book as a present to a few people too. Illustrations are beautiful. Story gorgeous. Lots to talk about in the pictures.
on 20 January 2016
Beautiful book, stunning illustrations and a very lovely rhyme and premise to the story. Perfect for very small children and also with the 'look and find' element of each scene it expands its interest for slightly older children. My daughter age 1 and my son age 4 1/2 both get so much out of this book and I enjoy it too
on 13 April 2014
The pictures in this book are so lovely. Our little one loves everything tiny, so we hardly ever get over the insect page. :-)
I'd buy this for myself! And the book is a great size too (fairly big).