Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 April 2011
It is wonderful to see a revised edition of these fabulous walks. Thank you to the dedicated walkers who have taken the time and trouble to review the routes and amend directions accordingly.
As someone who delights in not owning a car I am especially grateful that all are accessible by train and that full advice on public transport is provided for Londoners and visitors to the capital looking for a day out from town, rambling in magnificent neighbouring countryside.
The scenery traversed, historical points of interest, selected real ale pubs and picnic spots for lunches and tea shops noted for a quintessentially English end to the day really allow me to appreciate how fortunate I am to live in this part of the world.
My life has been enriched.
on 11 February 2016
Excellent book
on 8 July 2013
Bought as a present for a cousin who lives near the area covered and is more into walking for pleasure than me. When I received it, I thought it was attractive and well presented and was almost stirred to action. The feedback I got was that it was pretty useful as a practical guide as well. Nice to look at and apparently does the job if you are actually going to get out there. All round good egg.
on 28 March 2016
Like this book a lot! Full of cool walks to do, I just wish they did include a map. They tell you to get one. But its really awesome, the ideas of places to visit are great. I think is the advantage of living in London, you are a train trip away from a small cute town and beautiful countryside. Buy it and enjoy! ;)
on 29 March 2017
great service and amazing product
on 24 April 2012
The timeout Country Walks books are fantastic! Having done a couple of the walks already - they are very easy to follow, rate the walks difficulty, show shortcuts if required, start and end at train stations and show a good bunch of pubs along the way. Will be getting a lot of use come summer.
on 3 April 2011
In the past, I did some walks using the very first edition of this guide. Browsing through a bookshop, I came across this updated edition and was pleasantly surprised to see that there are lots of delightful photographs. I ordered the book on Amazon and spent a good hour leafing through it - trying to decide what walk to do first. What a wonderful book!
on 24 September 2015
I might have been the first reader to have completed all 53 of these walks about a year after this book was first published in 1997. It's good to see that, with the exception of Walk 3, the walks themselves are fundamentally unchanged, even if the descriptions have of course been updated / corrected in later editions. The two really great things about this collection are that firstly, as others have mentioned, all walks start and end at a railway station so Londoners and tourists without a car can travel to them easily, and secondly the walk descriptions are VERY EASY TO FOLLOW, so chances of getting lost are much reduced. Especially recommended are the walks around Guildford / Godalming / Haslemere / the Surrey Hills.
on 2 October 2013
This book is fantastic for anyone living in London - I am surprised more people don't know about it. In 30 minutes, this book will have you in rural countryside, picking blackberries as you wander between charming villages and points of interest. It's food for the soul, and after each outing I feel as though I have had a mini vacation, all for the price of a £15 train ticket. Marvelous.
on 29 March 2013
I love this, had been meaning to get it for ages and it's (so far) living up to my expectations! I've done two so far (plus one using a friend's copy), all really enjoyable walks. The directions are generally very clear (I've never gone wrong by more than a few hundred yards, if that) though you do have to pay careful attention, but that's all part of the fun! Loads of useful and interesting info, great lunch stops, and a good variety of choices in terms of length, location and difficulty. Brilliant.