on 10 December 2008
I bought this guide before I went to live and work in Barcelona for a couple of months and it proved invaluable. It has plenty of information about where to stay, eat & drink. It provides detailed and honest reviews of most of the tourist attractions that Barcelona has to offer, and as these guides are updated annually, the prices are always accurate. It also includes maps, photos, a mini language guide ( Spanish & Catalan) and facts about Barcelona's history, culture and traditions. Overall a great guide for anyone planning to visit or stay in the wonderful city of Barcelona.
on 26 May 2009
I used this guidebook in May 2009 and found that many of the bar and restaurant listings were reliably tasty and accurately described. Having also done a lot of on-line research into bars and restaurants (to find the latest information I could), I was happy to see that many of my on-line findings were already listed in this guidebook.
on 10 December 2009
A useful and entertaining guide, clearly written by people who know and love their city and are happy to share their insider knowledge, rather than simply churning out the usual 'must-sees'. It seems bang up to date, and in common with all the Time Out guides we've used, is nicely irreverent, which makes it a good holiday read. We also found the maps to be very accurate (something you can't always take for granted in a guidebook).
on 9 June 2010
Bought this for a recent trip and found it a great reference, and the maps completely sufficient for all our needs. We did encounter a few errors - map references were wrong, street addresses off - but nothing that we weren't able to overcome with general intrepidity.
on 1 April 2010
This book, in a nutshell, is the only book to use when you are away in BCN. The maps are second to none and the reviews, prices and opening/closing hours for museums, galleries and restaurants were spot on. Bravo Time Out!
on 3 August 2010
Our family went to Barcelona for 6 days and we used the guide day and night for anything at all we wanted to know or find.
We found fantastic restaurants and bars around any area we were at each day, used the maps to navigate, and any information could be found quickly and easily.
The prices were not accurate although this is May 2010 edition and we went to Barcelona in July, but I suppose it is very difficult to follow the soaring prices of the touristic attractions.
Highly recommended!
on 22 June 2012
I think the Kindle and iPad Kindle apps are great but not for travel guides, particularly this Time Out guide. Information that is contained on a single page in the paper guide is spread across multiple kindle pages making it impractical as an 'on the go' guide. To make things worse there is no header/footer information to inform you where you are in the guide - so it's back to the inadequate table of contents or index and then scrolling through dozens of pages. Unfortunately it gets worse - where are all the maps!!

Utter rubbish, stick to the paper version.

P.S. 5 stars to Amazon for the no-quibble refund.
on 2 December 2012
I am a late convert to Time Out Guides and find them essential and invariably the best one-stop shop. However, this edition has been rather hastily published without proper proof reading. No one has sought to update the cross-references to the maps with the result that turning to p344 does not yield the promised information. This is annoying but, on its own, manageable. Some of the smaller maps for suggested walking tours are slightly misleading and do not quite tally with their bigger counterparts at the back. I have also reached the conclusion that I would like a pull out map as many other guides provide.

Elsewhere, the book is not as easily navigable as it should be. The writing is second to none and only once has a Time Out restaurant guide really let me down (in Madrid as it happens)but the strap line on the cover "Eat Drink Shop Sleep Explore Enjoy" has begun to grate as to the perceived importance of exploring a city. Indeed, the lack of a proper index is increasingly infuriating.

As I said, I would still recommend taking the guide - just be aware of the issues with the maps and, if you are so inclined, consider using in tandem with another guide. Meanwhile, I hope the publishers will remedy the faults by the next edition.
on 10 September 2010
Although the 'take-out' maps are good, before I promptly lost them, the book is bigger than pocket size and says 'I am a tourist - please pickpocket me some more'. Its good for planning excursions the night before you go on them - or was my case, reading on the plane coming back about the 'no-go' area (off the Ramblas at the far end) which I'd gone to after 12 and promptly got robbed of my camera on the last night of my hol - so no memories, except for that one! But we're doing a book review here, and as a book it's very informative, accurate and honest. If it says aplace is good - it is and it knocks certain other places. Definitely one to buy, and do what I didn't do - READ IT! Doh!
on 25 October 2010
My friend and I went to Barcelona for a long weekend and so had a lot to cram into 3 days. This book was great, the info it had was spot on, but due to the size, we found ourselves reaching for her pocket size lonely planet to take out with us and used this one mostly as a reference before we went out, (hence only 4 stars) despite the better content of this book. It's not excessively large, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't fit in a pocket or a small handbag. None the less, for deciding where to go, what to do, pre planning routes/checking public events it was great. So, big bagged people - buy, buy, buy!