on 6 March 2017
Great pity that Time Out stopped producing this mighty book.
I have just bought this 'latest' one that was used and already six years old to replace my 2009 worn out edition.
on 18 May 2017
Excellent in all respects.
on 5 April 2011
Having started years ago with the ubiquitous 'Halliwells Film Guide(s)', probably because, at the time, it was probably the only accessible specialist film guide, I moved on about 20 years ago to the Time Out guide - which I FOUND SUPERIOR IN ALMOST EVERY RESPECT to Halliwell's, which suffered from the increasingly conservative, right-wing and reactionary subjectivity of it's author, which I FOUND INCREASINGLY HARD TO ACCEPT.

OK - Time Out lacks the technical details that Halliwell excels in - but these days you can obtain all that extra info. from the Internet in seconds.

I enjoy the often spot-on synopses of films which the Time Out writers provide, and I only find myself in disagreement with their verdicts very rarely.

I usually update my film guide every 5 years or so - not being one who would follow the advertising push that says ' the Time Out guide is the Only indispensible film review guide you need annually '...most of the films and reviews are the Same on an annual basis !

I WOULD NOT HAVE ANY OTHER FILM GUIDE IN MY LOUNGE.
on 28 January 2011
Having long been buyers of Halliwell's Film Guides, this Time Out Guide is a satisfactory alternative - although it provides less detailed technical/factual information than Halliwells, most of the space being devoted to a review for each film. If you're looking for the character names or production information, it's less helpful. I suppose there's Wikipedia and the internet now though... It's also got fewer films and less cross-referencing information (i.e. Director listings, alternative names, AAA listings) than the Halliwell's guides used to hold, but again if you want an opinion on a film, it's pretty good, compared to other options on the market now.
on 28 August 2010
Every time I open the Time Out Film Guide to look up one movie, my eye falls on an entry for another. I start reading, and immediately forget which film I'd wanted to look up in the first place. This is what's so terrible about the book; there's always something new, or half-forgotten, or surprisingly over- or underrated to keep me flipping through these 1226 pages of critical thumbnail sketches, sometimes cutting into the time I should devote to watching the movies themselves.

Like Richard Roud's wonderful, contentious Cinema: A Critical Dictionary, reading the Time Out guide is a seductive, discursive experience; it discourages linear, goal-oriented reading in favor of the pleasures of literary loafing. There are two indexes, one by director, another by alternate titles; both are invaluable, because films aren't always where I expect to find them in these pages.

The list of 100 web links for criticism, shopping, streaming and downloading, news, discussion, and more is exemplary, but I've saved the best for last: the film listings are brainier and better written than those in the Maltin guide.
22 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2011
The TIME OUT Film Guide joins the venerable Halliwell's Film Guide, which ceased publication after the 2008 edition. For those who enjoy the Time Out Guide, with it's lengthy and ideosyncratic reviews, the 2011 edition is, regrettably, the finale to the series.
After my order for the 2012 edition was cancelled by Amazon, I contacted the publishers by e-mail, and received the following reply:
"We have cancelled this year's Film Guide and don't have plans for a future edition at the moment."
So, if you want to update to the final edition of the guide, I suggest you place your order soon, while there are still copies available, at least at an affordable price.
on 25 September 2010
Buy this every year for my "film buff" son. He tells me it is the best around. Good price from Amazon and delivered quickly and efficiently.
on 30 December 2011
Excellent film guide and particularly useful for crosswords and quizzes. Only one complaint,the useful list of actors and their films that was in my 2002 edition has now been omitted. Perhaps the time has come for the guide to become two volumes!
on 17 December 2013
Present for my avid crossword fan mum. Says its invaluable but the print is rather too small for comfortable reading.
on 19 July 2014
This is the film guide you take with you to a desert island! Unputdownable!