VINE VOICEon 23 May 2012
This review is for: Time Out New York 20th edition

I like Time Out guides generally but I didn't get on with this one at all. For instance looking up the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the index says P313. P313 says see p113 and see p125, p113 says see p108 and p125. I couldn't flick through the guide and find something that looked interesting and relevant for where I was. I wondered if it was me and lent the guide to a friend who went to NY the week after I did, but they also had problems with the guide.

I think it must be the lay out as the information seems pretty solid when you pin it down but... I'm giving this one away.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 January 2011
I am unashamedly a lover of, and 'many time' visitor to New York City, never tire of my visits, want to return as soon as I leave and think of myself as one part British and one part New Yorker. There can be no other place on this earth that stirs the emotions through it's architecture, cosmopolitan population, perpetual motion, diversity of cultures, kaleidoscope of entertainment, and sheer pace, vibrancy and energy. It is truly a wonderful and unique place and "The Time Out New York Guide" comes as close as you'll ever get to helping the reader get the maximum out of a trip to New York City.

New York Times and Pulitzer Prize winner, Meyer Berger said "Each man reads his own meaning into New York" and certainly using this most comprehensive guide is a darn good way to start. It recognises that visitors to NYC want to see the 'signature' attractions but they also want to quickly find good restaurants, shopping and entertainment and all in just a few days. This guide does not disappoint and contains an abundance of information and help that is second to none, relevant and essential to making a visit to NYC a rewarding and exciting experience.
on 13 June 2011
I am getting a bit bored with the Time Out guide books. They are great for shops and restaurants and I find that they tell you the obvious sights but don't give you any hints of how to enjoy the different neighbourhoods e.g. easy routes around or the main streets. I've found the same thing for Paris and Berlin books too. I am thinking of switching brands.
I don't think there's enough differentiation between this and the shortlist book either.
on 25 June 2011
This book helped us to make the most of our New York trip. We found the information comprehensive, it gave good advice in terms of shopping, sightseeing and eating out. The only downside to this book is that we found the map of the subway completely useless - it's miniscule and might as well have been omitted. That's where our Insight Guide to New York came in totally useful...
on 4 March 2012
I am normally a fan of Rough Guides, however a friend gave me this prior to a trip to NYC. I ended up buying the Rough Guides version to also take along.

However once in NYC i found the time out one much more easier to use, up to date, and picking out the best bits of the city to see. Although the RG is good it can get a bit too wordy which is not helpful when your walking around the city as you want to find things quickly and concisely.

I have been back to NYC several times and always take this book with me. Has colour pictures throughout the book and good tips ie walking guides, best times of days for certain things etc...
on 12 October 2012
We found this guide to be invaluable on ur trip to NYC last week. Info within seemed very up to date and accurate, even down to which exhibitions were on and their dates at the Guggenheim. Only small criticism is that the subway map at the back is minuscule, you almost need a magnifying glass to read it! We got a separate free map though so not a real issue. Well done Timeout!
on 26 September 2011
Invaluable aid to our annual trip to New York with good balance between touristy type stuff and night life. Content probably aimed at the younger in heart.Unfortunately, in common with any guide, by the time it is published it is already out of date but can at least get updates from apps and Time Out Magazine.
on 23 November 2009
All I'd add to the reviews below is that this is the third or fourth edition of this book I've bought over the years and it continues to be a great guide to New York.

Given the background of the authors and the publisher it's not surprising that this goes beyond the main tourist sights and provides recommendations for slightly more off-beat and underground things to see and do. I've not read other NT guidebooks for a long time, but always find this one sufficient when I make a trip over the pond. Like almost all of the Time Out City Guides, I'd recommend this one.
on 21 August 2009
What can I say - Time Out has yet again produced a brilliant and up-to-date guide book about New York. I used it for my first-ever New York trip and all info plus every recommendation in the book was spot on, the book is easy to use and nicely designed. In addition to that, it lists restaurants, sights and shops that are not touristy and that I doubt you would have found in another guide book. With its wide range of listings plus the different budget ranges for eating out, it is definitely a great book for anyone.
on 24 April 2011
Found this book very useful, especially the different scales of map, though these did manage to detach themselves a little too easily from the main book (hence it losing a star in my rating). Provided all the timing a price information we needed as well as generating some ideas for visits such as the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum which i would not have found without seeing it in the guide book.