on 17 October 2013
Fine for a holiday read...nothing to heavy, interesting characters however I would have liked to have gotten to know the main character a little more to understand her motives a little more.
on 18 June 2015
An enjoyable book
on 11 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed "The Middlesteins" - who wouldn't? - as it was sad and funny at the same time. I can't wait to read more books by Jami Attenberg.
on 12 August 2013
Just wasn't sure about this book - a bit odd. I suppose it depends really on your taste in books as it was well written.
on 23 February 2013
A provocative portrayal of a suburban Jewish family with a remarkable insight into the complex relationships of three generations. The Middlesteins are in so many ways a completely ordinary family. The author makes each character extremely believable . The one thing that influences what would otherwise be an unexceptional round of family ups and downs, high days and holidays, is the ever expanding waistline of the main protagonist
Ostensibly a ruefully comical story it nonetheless packs a serious punch regarding the basis of obesity and the inclination to "comfort eating", which may, it seems, be acquired so early in life that it becomes second nature. And can,in the end, influence more than could be imagined. A book well worth reading. Warm and insightful.
on 13 March 2013
Occasionally, one reads a book where the characters are so well-written and their lives so interesting that you simply want the book to continue in the vein of a diary - well, this is one of those books. I had recently read Francesca Segal's 'The Innocents' which is being compared to this book as it is about suburban Jews in London as opposed, in Attenberg's case, to suburban Jews in Chicago. Attenberg's book is so much better and you really do not have to be Jewish to enjoy it - the family could be any middle class, seemingly close-knit family in any part of the first world. The main character - Edie, the mother - is a gross over-eater who is gradually killing herself and Attenberg dissects beautifully the impact that this has on herself, her family and her friends. For all budding authors - read it and weep and wish that you could write such good fiction!
on 24 February 2013
I read this on the recommendation of Viv Groskop on Twitter and I have to say I enjoyed the novel tremendously. From page one there is a self assured writing style not unlike Anne Tyler's which Attenberg carries with aplomb and I instantly felt that I knew the characters as Attenberg creates rounded souls who are flawed and aware of their own failings. The narrative style is clever and as it switches from different perspectives, it helps the story develop and gives if a profound feeling. I particularly liked the little 'vignettes' ; Attenberg really observes people and includes lovely details which I'll remember for some time to come.
on 2 December 2013
I bought this because I was intrigued by the cover copy (I have a relative who over-eats and whose health suffers as a result) but none of the characters here were particularly likeable (in my view) but I also didn't really care that much about any of them - and I felt you didn't really get that much of an insight into their characters either. But ... I wasn't a fan of 'The Corrections' and as there's a great quote from Jonathan Franzen (author of 'The Corrections') on the front of this, I shouldn't have been that surprised that this book also left me cold. So ... probably one for those who like the tone/style of 'The Corrections' but if you didn't like that, then you possibly won't like this either.
on 18 May 2013
Enjoyable read and lots of insight into the link between obesity and emotional needs. Characters I could believe in, and no holes barred when it came to the ripple effect on the family that obesity can create. However, each chapter was a jump back or forward in time and it was frequently difficult to work out a timeframe. As I'd bought it for my Kindle. it was a nuisance going back and forth rather than flick through the pages of a book!
on 26 April 2013
enjoyed this book because I found it quite an unusual subject and storyline, and it drew me in and didnt want it to end...always a sign of a good read for me!