on 10 January 2013
I'm sure you could find more exhaustive chronological histories, but this book's coverage is wide. It's often tangential, but that works in it's favour, as the zigzagging coverage of cartography keep it engaging and entertaining. The digital version suffers in that the illustrations are low resolution and that costs this a star. It would be great if Kindle books tried harder in this area generally.
on 18 August 2014
I love reading maps, and I enjoyed this book. It looks into the history of the early world maps, laughs at their errors, and plots their development. Very interesting.
on 11 February 2014
As a keen amateur cartographer and having read Simon Garfield's previous work, "Just My Type", it wasn't a hard decision to buy this book. He didn't let me down with his clear and easy going style and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 11 March 2013
I love maps, and reading about their history and development is fascinating. Garfield's book is well written and shows learning worn lightly. I read it at bedtime and it did not send me to sleep.
on 8 November 2013
This is a discursive telling of random tales about maps' I like my history more scholarly and I deduct a point for lack of gravitas but it is a good read nevertheless
on 1 June 2013
I thought it was an interesting bird's eye view of how maps have shaped culture. I particularly liked the modern stuff about google maps but none of it would have been impressive had it not been put into context. I read the book as I watched the BBC's Maps: power, plunder and possession. If anyone would like to read a summary of the book I wrote a short piece here: http://www.eclecticjosh.com/post/47768334997/a-short-history-of-maps
on 31 March 2014
You can read chapters in isolation.

Was very "bad" for my map-collecting tendencies... thankfully.

Similar to the Simon Winchester books about various topics.

And the author's enthusiasm is infectious.

Pleasantly diverse range of map related topics explored.
on 11 December 2012
A finely written account of the history of mapping from earliest times. Accompanied with a potted description of a number of rare and unusual maps, and the book is completed with a study of mapping in the modern digital age.
on 2 January 2016
Excellent read, very pleased, thank you.
on 3 January 2014
Maps are endlessly fascinating and Simon Garfield writes in a pacy entertaining style that draws you in. Full of facts and foibles about which I knew nothing before. A great read.