Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Learn more Learn more

A Short History of England
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2017
For anyone trying to obtain a framework in time of the history of England this book is the answer.. It is written clearly, intelligently with excellent pictures of events and people. It does not linger too long on one section of our history but each section is allocated sufficient space to provide a good understanding. It is also written interestingly and the author offers his viewpoint on certain events and the players in our history. Reads like a good novel.
on 26 October 2017
[Hardback Edition]

As other reviews have already said; the book is brief yet thorough on the subjects that matter, going into small detail when necessary. The book is quite thick as it covers the Saxon dawn (410) all the way up to current prime ministers. The only problem I have is that the binding of the book (my version, anyway) is quite unprofessional - I can see hot glue on the tops of the pages and feels like the pages could just rip out if I gave them a tug. A nice addition to the book would have been a timeline of events, apart from these two things the book is wonderful and I highly recommend anyone who feels like they need to brush up on their nation's history to pick it up (as did I)!
review image
on 16 April 2016
A very informative and entertaining read.

To cover over one thousand years of history in a single, relatively short volume, is no mean achievement. Some of the topics I knew about; some I knew little or nothing about, so it filled a lot of gaps in my knowledge of history.

Of course, it is a summary of the history of England. Nothing less than an encyclopaedia could do the subject justice. Nevertheless it makes for a fascinating account. Also, it will encourage me to explore many of the topics in more depth; and it covers a wealth of topics, so there is an awful lot for me to learn. I look forward to it!

Very enjoyable, strongly recommended.
on 24 November 2016
A canter through British history with so many amazing insights and facts that this is bursting with interest and perspective.

Quite apart from illustrating how our nation’s fabric was woven from the threads of ambition, greed and religious belief, this is also a hugely interesting tale, told in such a way that it doesn’t seem like history as I was taught it.

Readable and enjoyable in equal measures, this is a fabulous.
on 22 February 2016
The author has done a great job in telling a complex story of nearly 2,000 years in less than 300 pages. He achieves this by concentrating on the major players over that period - initially the monarchy, subsequently politicians.The pace, as you might imagine is fast, but always focused. Although there are plenty of characters in the story, you don't feel like you are being bombarded with names. That I reckon is a huge credit to the author.
on 17 June 2015
Excellent run through 1500 years of history with just enough information at each stage and quite a few amusing or telling comments. Occasionally, there are paragraphs that are a bit obscure or open to doubt, but overall the book is a first class explanation, taken at a gallop. The epilogue, where Simon offers his own view of the country's progress through this great sweep of history, shows a great journalist and editor's mind at work (but don't cheat by reading it first!).
on 5 March 2017
This book condenses British history into a concise overview of the major events and their sequence and consequences. It is easy to read, though I did detect the odd error (Battle of Verdun was 1916 not 17). A good refresher for interested non-historians.
on 28 May 2016
Wanted a primer on English history but I don't think I retained much of this. Not the book's fault really just think its more interesting to read deeply than as broadly as here. The 19th century gets much fuller treatment than the 9th as you'd expect. More sources being available for more recent history I suppose, coupled with the author's own interests.
on 14 December 2017
A we!l written short introduction to the fascinating history of this country which is easy to read yet full of information and well worth reading.
on 9 April 2016
This book just doesn't flow for me, I read World War Two History in an hour which flowed like a river in spring however A short history of England can sometimes be a difficult read.

I feel sometimes the author has used words only 5% of the country would understand, but hey this is my own personal opinion and I read it to the end and enjoyed it.