on 21 March 2006
From time to time I buy a book on Amazon that I know little or nothing about. People in my office had been talking about it so I decied to give this a try. I was not disappointed.
The book starts with a fast pace and never slows down. Its an abolute Tour De Force of magic & adventure. Not being a fan of Fantasy writing I found my self taken aback by the sheer imaginaton that Cowey has conjured up in his mind as we are introduced to another world so different and vivid to anything that JK Rowling has ever thrown at us and its a breath of fresh air to say the least.
Cowey's debut epic novel looks destined to either become a forgotten gem of our time or meet its justified rise & rise.
This is a must read!! Its more than just Fantasy its about youth & the price of our dreams and ambitions.
Simply mesmirizing!!
5/5
on 10 April 2006
I came across this book completely by accident and thought I would give it a go. It sounded like an exciting tale and lived up to all my expectations. Every time I read a chapter, I found myself wanting to read on and did so until it was finished. The characters, creatures and locations were (excuse the pun) out of this world. I found this journey through Umbajumba was funny, exciting, sad and at times a little scary. Both William and Freddy reminded me of my school days and Pikinee and Oni complimented them well. (My 14 year old son, also enjoyed it.)
I have searched for more titles by Mr Cowey and found none, but I will keep searching and hoping for more of the same by this author.
on 10 May 2006
What a great read for the whole family. I started to read this book and was sucked into the story straight away. I never expected it to be so engaging and imaginitive. Fat Freddy was hilarious and such a scaredy cat. William was also entertaining and kept Freddy in his place. The creatures of this world are so original and when Oni and Pikinee joined William, the story began. Myself, my mum, brother, sister and three nephews have all read this book and all agree, its brilliant.

If you decide to read this book, I believe you would enjoy it every bit as much as I did.