Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 July 2015
A very well written, very peculiar book. Glad that I read it, it was amusing, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it except to certain friends. Not for everyone.
on 31 March 2017
Composed only of necessary words, carefully chosen and ordered it's a wonderful metaphor to explain how we relate to each other.
on 1 June 2012
When I read the book, I enjoyed every second of it. I think the cleverest thing about it is the metaphors, how everything is so literal, anxiety for example bangs on your door, its actually a monster! I won't give away anymore examples but they're really quirky and clever.
There are superheroes, that made me laugh and go 'that's clever' and then are those that silenced me, perhaps because I saw a bit of myself in their pitiful state, their strength was their weakness, that just broke me.
Of course I rooted for Tom and wondered how the Perfectionist was going to see him again,that's the main plot but I just fell in love with the whole world that Kaufman has created.
But then the book ends, all too quickly as it's so short, only a 108 pages.
I started to think if the book was worth the price, it costs the same amount as novel with over 300 pages. I felt disappointed for some reason, almost annoyed by the fact that I was invited into this world and then shoved out the door without so much as a goodbye.
But then life happened and every now and again I'd remember something the book had touched upon, by making ideas into objects that were visible it makes things like fear and love easier to deal with. So the book grew on me and I reach for it every once in a while to remember the messages it has. It's one of my favorite books now, the plot is almost irrelevant to me it's the ideas that were explored in it that are most significant to me.
on 19 July 2015
Read 43% of this book and gave up reviewed as quirky and funny!! Def not my sense of humour I didn't "get it" at all.
on 24 November 2015
I borrowed All my Friends are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman from a work colleague. She didn't exactly sell it to me, saying she hadn't been a big fan, but I wanted to give it a go because I'd heard Carrie Hope Fletcher talking about how much she loved it. It'd be fair to say I fell somewhere in the middle. Whilst I thought it was a really clever concept, using attributes to name characters such as 'the Perfectionist', 'the Hypnotist' and 'the Broken Heart', I found it quite difficult to engage with and at times found it bordered on the pretentious. There were, however, some really sweet lines which kept me reading, and as it was only a short read (around 100 pages) I'm glad I persevered. Fans of quirky fiction will no doubt love it, but for me it fell a bit short.
on 5 September 2013
A whimsical little story about an ordinary guy who is rendered invisible to his fiance, the Perfectionist (a Superhero), by her jealous ex-boyfriend, Hypno, at their wedding reception. with a premise like that, the reader is introduced to a myriad of other Superheroes, though not the kind with enviable superpowers. Some of them include the Terrycloth, who is able to make every day feel like a Sunday, Sloth, who discovers with liberating finality that just rejecting all the things he is unable to muster up energy to accomplish, gives him his superpowers.

At times, Kaufman seems a little too pleased with himself for inventing these less-than-spectacular superpowers he intersperses his narrative with, expecting the reader to chuckle knowingly with self-identification. On their own, they are interesting nuggets illustrating the universe he has created, but not necessarily of any import to the plot at hand, which is pencil-thin.

Still, there are some delightful passages, like the vacuum-slash-love salesman who tries to interest the Perfectionist with his samples in this exchange:

"I've got the love you want, the love you think you want, the love you think you want but don't when you finally get it..."
'That must be very popular."
"It is."

Charming, but not nearly enough.
on 24 February 2013
Obviously swimming against the tide on this one, but try as I did, I can't say I thought much of this book.
Let me start with the positives: there are some funny lines, and quite a few lines to make you think, and it has what I must concede is quite a sweet ending. But, it's just so terribly twee. Like Chicken Soup for the Soul rather than say Jean-Paul Sartre. It felt like sitting and eating a box of chocolates in one sitting. Sweet at first, and even pleasant, but sickly very quickly. If you are moved regularly by shared Facebook updates and fridge magnets you'll probably like it.
If not move along now.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2010
This book is quirky and made me smile on a number of occasions. It's a short book that is original and different and is entertaining throughout. Whilst reading I started to think about people I know and for fun starting making up what their superhero names could be from their personality. Lovely read that will bring a smile on most faces, great book cover picture - that always makes me smile too.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2012
This book is very small in size but very big in smiles. It's a quirky read, at once heart-breaking and adorable, realistic and ridiculous. It has child-like innocence but at the same time, the breadth of experience in failed relationships (romantic and other) of the average adult.

Characters are summarised into superheroes, each with their own attribute, mostly used as metaphors but sometimes comic.

We follow Tom, who has no super power but lives in a world populated by superheroes, as he tries to get the love of his life to see him once more, having become invisible to her at the vengeful will of another superhero vying for her affections.

I read this in hard-copy format years ago and thought I'd rediscover it on Kindle. At a fiver, the value isn't great in view of the short length, but you wouldn't want it any longer. I would recommend sampling first or catching it in a sale, as due to its quirkiness it probably isn't for everyone.
on 26 June 2012
To be honest I mainly bought this book first for the cover, which has such an interesting retro look, and second for the title, which...well, has such a retro sound.

I'm going to keep this review brief because I'm sure I'll just end up repeating the opinions of other reviewers who have nothing but glowing reviews. Suffice to say I enjoyed this novella alot. Having never read a Kauffman novel before I thought something light and interesting would be a good initition - and it was.

To give a brief outline of the premise, each character within the story is basically a superhero because of their dominating characteristic - which I found to be so original and yet also so simple that it really endears the reader to the book because then they start thinking about the people around them and what superhero names they would have. Very clever of Kauffman - involving the reader without it seeming to obvious or try-hard.

The only thing I could possibly criticise is the lack of substantial romantic background between the two protagonists - though this is a small flaw.

Other than that I would definetely recommend this novella - it would make a really good gift for a friend or relative (you know - cousins, nieces/nephews etc, etc.)