Customer reviews

Checkmate: Book 3 (Noughts And Crosses)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2005
This third book in the fantastic "Noughts and Crosses" trilogy proves to be a tense and thought-provoking conclusion. If you have read and enjoyed the previous two novels in Malorie Blackman's much-acclaimed series, "Noughts and Crosses" and "Knife Edge", then there is absolutely no doubt that you will love "Checkmate" too. The story follows "Nought" (white) Callum and "Cross" (black) Sephy's mixed-race daughter Callie Rose as she grows up and discovers all about her disturbing past, while struggling to fit in in a severely prejudiced society. Blackman really manages to move the reader and sustain interest throughout the novel, and I for one continuously wished for racist attitudes to be wiped from the planet as I was reading this book. I was so engrossed in the story that I found myself finishing the novel within a day of purchasing it, which undoubtedly speaks for itself. As in "Noughts and Crosses" and "Knife Edge", the plot is disturbing and touching, and if you have read either of the afore-mentioned novels, you will not have discovered everything about Callum and Sephy's story until you have devoured the final page of the brilliant "Checkmate". I highly recommend this book for teenagers and adults alike.
22 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2017
I don't usually get much feedback from teenage member of the family apart from whether he is enjoying a book and it seems this set has been thoroughly enjoyed. Reading at the same time as school set Literature books, I guess it's a welcome change to have leisure reading time...I can remember appreciating this too... and I have noticed the set of 3 books by Malorie Blackman have been read into the late night, another good sign. I attach a list of some of the other books that have been enjoyed by young teenager.
review image
on 9 October 2017
Another fantastic novel continuing on from the previous two. Cleverly written from so many perspectives that you feel as though you too are experiencing the characters' journeys.
on 4 August 2017
How do I... explain the way I'm feeling- once again! To even think Malorie Blackman COULD disappoint would be damn right insulting. She'd done it, as expected, even better. It's all been building up for this and whilst i still mourn over Callum's death- wishing that him and Sephy and Callie-rose could have just been together ... I think that's the whole point
on 27 July 2017
I bought this for my 13 year old son. He read it quickly and said it was 'good'.
on 20 August 2017
Best book I've read in ages. Emotional, action-packed and mesmerising. You literally can not take your eyes off it for hours. Definitely worth the buy.😁
on 28 April 2017
I have throughly enjoyed reading these books, gripping story line .
Very true to life.
Sex story is a bit too graphic for 11 yrs old
on 25 June 2017
good product
on 28 June 2017
No issues
on 17 June 2017
Fantastic gripping storyline carrying on from the 1st and 2nd book. Loved it and would recommend to anyone.