flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now

Age of Ultron
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2015
SPOILERS !

Great idea & great art, but...

As ever Bendis can come up with a big idea, but it is often poorly executed.

In this story, I would have liked to have seen just how Ultron conquered the world.
How he built a massive city over New York - apparently overnight.
How he built all his drones.

And Wolverine's solution seems really heavy-handed - almost to the point of cliché – i.e. Hank Pym "won't listen" so he has to be killed.
Surely he's a boffin, not a religious zealot!

And why is Ultron buying superheroes?
And directing everything via the Vision from the future ….
Does this get explained - or did I just miss it?

And Ultron get invented anyway, in spite of intervention?
And why must he be allowed to exist after all that?
Timey-wimey stuff I suppose.

That said, the adventure as a whole is satisfying.
The alternates are pretty good.

And for once the climax makes some sense - unlike Bendis' often hopelessly vague and confusing climaxes (such as Secret Invasion and Avengers Disassembled)

I realise that comics have moved on since I was a lad, but Bendis’ non-linear, non-explanatory style gets a bit wearing and a tad pretentious.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2014
First of all let me say that Ultron is my favourite marvel villain and I cant wait for AVENGERS:AGE OF ULTRON.
This comic starts of with New York in ruins and the super hero community has fallen with Ultron's forces controlling the whole place. That was kind of annoying because I was really looking forward to seeing the invasion itself happening, however we did see glimpses of it in a flashback from Spiderman. Any way as some of the hero's are regrouping and Black widow steals a chocolate bar from a dead guy; Cap finally comes out of a state of shock and devises a plan. I wont spoil much more but I will say that they meet Nick Fury in the savage land.
Unfortunately Hulk, Thor, Thing, Mr Fantastic, Cyclops and a few others have already died so we don't see any of them. But that doesn't take away from the awesome story line and red hulk makes up for the loss of good ol' green skin. The story itself is good and the art is very good.
OVERALL SUMMARY:
Story:4.5/5
Art:5/5
Originality:4.5/5
Price:5/5
on 10 June 2014
I have been reading lots of comics over the past year, primarily The Walking Dead, and have found myself thoroughly enjoying this platform of storytelling and love the exquisite artwork. However, up until this book, I had actually not read any Marvel comic books and felt I could not call myself a true Marvel fan by solely judging their awesomeness based on their films, TV shows and second-hand knowledge from the Internet. So I thought I should actually buy myself a comic book and see if I would enjoy them as much, if not more so, as the films and TV shows.

Although, I didn't really know where to start. True Marvel fans would most certainly be better in offering a good title to welcome new readers to the comic universe but with "The Avengers: Age of Ultron" film being released next year, I thought I'd start by reading the comic that inspired the title of the next Avengers film, even if it isn't going to be based on the actual comic book.

The story is neither the most original nor is it the most interesting, although the characters and the artists' excellent designs make the moderately weak story easily forgivable. In fact, the last issue in the book that delves into Henry "Hank" Pym's origin - who is otherwise known as Ant-Man - has in fact catapulted him into my personal Top 20 Superheroes of All Time. Then again that could just be me as I find I am able to empathize with him significantly.

Overall, as the comic book that has welcomed me into the comic universe of Marvel, I think this book is brilliant and is definitely worth the read. Plus, I have already ordered another Marvel comic book and cannot wait to read it, so I would say this comic book did a superb job in persuading me that Marvel comic books can be enjoyed just as much as the films etc.
on 16 October 2017
One of the classics, a good, well thought out plot line and a self-contained story. Ultron has always been one of my favourites and if I have one criticism of this story its that you see surprisingly little of him.
on 2 December 2014
Spoilers ect.

The art is pretty, the story went in a poor direction however. It's titled Age of Ultron but I'm pretty sure we don't see Ultron till the very end and that's the Ultron from before the story happened any way. The story starts as if it's going to be about either Spiderman or Hawkeye and half way in dumps them for Wolverine and Sue Storm. Another badly executed Marvel plot that could have been incredible.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 May 2014
Its would be rude to be here explain the story on this ARC IMO, so i only have this to say:

Its a must have to all MArvel central universe (aka 616) fans, especially ones that like Pym's character and Wolverine.

Just don't expect the movie to portrait this ARC because its too intense to the silver screen :)
on 31 March 2014
I bought Age of Ultron without paying heed to some of the negative reviews it has garnered. It was one of the first novels I read and I did enjoy it. Granted, Ultron hardly appeared himself but the devastation he caused to the entire Marvel universe and its adverse effects on the characters was quite interesting.
on 1 December 2016
Those coming and hoping for a more in depth version of the same titled movie. This is not it.
AoU is more focused on the aftermath I a hostile takeover by Ultron. Overall good story but can feel very slow. Not for those who enjoy lots of booms and bangs.
on 29 August 2017
Great service...10 out of 10
on 13 March 2016
Not what I expected because I seen the marvel movie before reading the graphic novel, it's about time travel and stuff plenty of heroes in there though