Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2017
Loved the story but was less keen on the artwork. Epic scale battles featuring a cast of hundreds all left me a bit confused at times. Partly to blame is my lack of comic book reading over the last 10 years. Once an avid Marvel fan I have had to seriously curtail the books I can read - as a result I didn't know many of the characters.

That aside I realise it must be difficult to convey epic and give cameo appearances to everyone's favourite characters. At times a cast of slightly less players may have helped the story flow, but I loved the idea and Bendis is something of a story telling genius so there were many positives too.
on 16 March 2017
Very enjoyable. Theres too many modern marvel books that have left me disappointed the last couple years & if you feel the same way then I would recommend this.
on 29 May 2017
i was disappointed because except the first 2 illuminati stories ( they were great) nothing more rly happens....
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2008
If you hadn't noticed in the comic book world, at the moment Marvel have a small event going on called Secret Invasion. This event tells the tale of when the Skrulls finally decide to stop playing nice and get around to invading the good old Marvel Universe. To this end they have infiltrated the heroes with Skrulls who don't know they are really Skrulls (sleeper agents so to speak). With this they have thrown doubt amongst the heroes.

As part of the promotion and to help slightly newer readers this collection has been thrown together. It start's way back at the beginning with the Fantastic Four's first run in with the Skrulls. From here we jump to more recent stories, mainly from the New Avengers and the Illuinati.

This all goes to show how clever Brian Micheal Bendis really is (no sarcasm). He has sowed the seeds back as far as the first issue of New Avengers and the breakout of the raft (further if you take into account the likes of the Nick Fury centric Secret War). The writing is excellent and the artwork is generally top notch throughout.

But there is a problem. With the exception of the Stan Lee & Jack Kirby Fantastic Four story, there really isn't a complete story in there. All the other issues form a smaller part of a larger story that was being published. For example two issues where taken from the 5 part Illuminati and the Elektra storyline was taken from the tail end of a several part Avengers story line. This means that as you read it, you are treated to the planning that the Skrulls have been so thorough about but it doesn't really make for the most complete reading experience.
on 22 February 2015
I hear people complain that it ruins continuity for characters who were actually Skrull for years but i think a lot of it surprisingly works.
But the Skulls are built up so much, they say, even if we lose, the Earthlings will never trust each other again. But they are beaten quite surprisingly easy.
Theres this moment where the reader is not supposed to know which heroes are really Skrull or not but its REALLY obvious!!!
There are some teasers that certain people are Skrull but there isn't one person who is a Skrull that i really cared about, it was always more obscure characters.
Nice to see the return of Nick Fury, i usually don't care for him but its done and delivered very well with his Secret Avengers
Lots of great back story for everyone, especially the Skrull
Probably the best teaser ending of Marvel stories i can think of off the top of my head
on 11 December 2014
I was expecting a lot from secret invasion, it slightly disappointed me. It is a comic with lots of action, but to me it felt like action over story. Most of the time you don't know who is who. Which may sound exciting but to me became repetive. I felt it was entertaining but not brilliant. A lot of charcters just didn't do much, other than Iron man and Thor. Decent buy but not a must buy.
on 5 September 2016
One of my favourite Marvel comic story arcs! A lot of tie-ins with other popular heroes in the Marvel universe (Black Panther, Captain Britain, Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Incredible Hercules, Nova, Runaways and Thor tie-ins are my personal favourites).

I am a big fan of the massive Marvel cross-over arcs, although this is down to personal opinions on characters and/or groups that are featured. Highly recommend to any Marvel fans, only problem for me is getting all the tie-ins to complete the collection, as I am in the UK and some are rare over here.
on 17 May 2011
Everyone knows the Skrulls from the Fantatic Four and wants to see them again but using there full potential. This is the book that gives you everything you would want from a graphics novel. Its a lot easier to read than other graphics novels as this is more light hearted and does not incorporate a lot of other stories from other graphics novels.

This does make you ask questions though that just want you to buy more just so you can answer those questions.
on 11 April 2009
I didn't enjoy this. I was dissapointed, as I enjoyed Civil War and thought House of M was quite good too.

I like what I have read of Bendis (Daredevil mainly, though also enjoyed Alias. I read the first few Ultimate Spider-man volumes when I started following comics, but was not overly impressed with them) so was expecting to enjoy this, but it was just too scatty. It didn't really make any sense in its own terms. I roughly knew what was going on before Secret Invasion (from wikipedia as I don't follow any of the relevant comics), but if I hadn't it would have been pointless as it relied heavily on you knowing what is going on. I think if you followed New and Mighty Avengers you would enjoy this, but it is not a good way to get into comics or the Avengers franchise.

The art is quite good though I have a couple of complaints. Yu's faces are too lined and look very odd. Also the costumes (particularly for the female characters) are just too skin tight and show off their bodies too much. I know this is common in super-hero work, but I am used to series like Daredevil and Captain America, which are a little more subtle.

The volume itself its very good value. Eight larger than usual issues (I think they are 30 pages each rather than 22) plus two extra issues that are related to the event, one having a few short stories, one being an encyclopedia of all skrulls to appear in the Marvel Universe since the 60s. The variant covers for an issue are all included on one page, which is acceptable considering there are quite a few covers, but not ideal.

In conclusion, I would only recommend this to people who follow New and or Mighty Avengers. The story is just too tied in to the plots in those comics. It's not that bad in itself, just not accessable enough. I have reviewed this assuming anyone who hasn't already bought it does not follow the Avengers franchise.
on 26 September 2010
Secret Invasion collects the similarly-named eight issue Avengers mini-series that tells the tale of the Skrulls attempt to take over the Earth. It is actually a great concept that builds a conspiracy type storyline going back to the early days of the Marvel universe The story was built up over a few months in the pages of the regular New Avengers and Mighty Avengers titles and I suspect that the book won't make a whole lot of sense if you have not read those episodes previously. The best feature of the book is without doubt the artwork and in particular, we are treated to some superb panoramas of massed battle scenes as the heroes take on the villainous skrulls. Some fantastic covers were created for the series and these are also reproduced in this collected edition. However, from a story point of view, most of the really dramatic aspects of the series appeared in the core Avengers titles and this means that a big chunk of this book is devoted to slug-fests between the various protagonists. The series sets the scene for the Dark Reign storyline that ran across the Marvel titles immediately after the conclusion of Secret Invasion. Overall, this book is a bit of a disappointment and I've probably been quite generous in giving it three stars.