Customer reviews

on 17 April 2015
Amos Hawke mysteries make exciting reading. Crime, romance and delightful leading characters are woven together to produce another stunning yarn.
on 21 January 2015
Excellent read
on 8 July 2010
I have been a fan of E V Thompson since reading "Chase the Wind" in 1980 and believe I have, with one exception, a copy of every book he has published since. For the first time ever I found this one disappointing. The style of writing appears to have changed with the well researched historical fact we are used to seeing woven into the story lacking. At times I almost felt it had the style of a childrens' story book. Certainly not of the quality we are used to seeing from this author.
on 12 April 2013
Yet another Fantastic Novel from EV Thompson. All of the EV Thompson books we have read and been purchased through Amazon, and every book, whether brand new, or used, Has been a Great buy, and in Really Great Condition. EV Thompson is the master of Cornish Charm, and, even though this is a diversion from his usual books, but equally riveting. Another Brilliant Read, bought to us by book dealers through Amazon.
on 29 June 2013
Since I read the first book about Amos Hawke I was hooked. I love the setting as a lot of the places are familiar, and I love the fact that it keeps you guessing what is going to happen next. I loved this follow on book where he takes up with Tom Churchyard to solve a murder mystery and captures a gang of thieves from London. This book was not as long as the others and I read it in no time. I was sad when it came to the end. I love E.V. Thompson books and I can't get enough of them.
on 6 May 2013
an excellent book, one of best so far. ev thompson never fails to give a good read. can't wait for the latest book to be published
on 10 September 2013
Really loved this book it is a shame that the writer died before he could write any more. I think this would make a marvellous
TV script as Victorian detectives seem to be popular at the moment.

I liked the way it showed how difficult it was to be a policeman in those days.
on 17 February 2013
The first time I've come across this author and it was a chance to dip one's toes in. The time setting and scene is interesting and the plot interesting although about half way through the identity of one of the villains was fairly obvious from the clues. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.
on 2 August 2016
Another wonderful book from my favourite so much missed writer. The story revolve funnily enough near where we live and as usual the story is delightful and enthrawling. If you live in the area it will take you back in time and you will relive it in that period. Loved it
on 9 January 2015
all of E V Thompson's books are very different and although you are reading fiction there is also a bit of real social history involved. I would happily recommend them.