Customer reviews

I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed (Charlie and Lola)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2017
Do not buy this used! I bought it from a seller called the book house were it stated it might have some signs of use. In reality it was wrecked with many of the pop ups missing or just falling out when the page was opened. On the plus side it was cheap and fitted in the bin quite nicely.
on 23 August 2017
Bought book for my four year old Granddaughter and she loved the story
on 30 August 2017
We all enjoyed this bedtime story
on 9 April 2014
I was a bit disappointed with this book. My granddaughter wasn't that enamoured either.
The text wasn't very clear either
on 19 June 2002
...apparantly, when this story was read out in nursery. My 4 year old took this book in to nursery, and the ladies had to read it 3 times in the one day due to the requests from the children - they've never had such a response to a book!
Charlie has this little sister, Lola - and it's not easy getting her to bed as she says that she'll "probably still be perky at 13 o'clock". She comes up with more and more bizarre reasons why she can't get ready for bed. How does Charlie get round them all?
This book has quirky illustrations (a mix of drawings and photographs of patterns) which really tickled my 4 year old's imagination. It has a super title, which has become a catch phrase in our house now, and it become one of the most requested bedtime stories. She now reads it to us (even though she can't yet read, but the story lends itself to memorising which means that she feels more grown up).

I'm now going to have to buy the other book by Lauren Child featuring Charlie and Lola as the expressions on their little faces are so true to small children.
I can't praise this book highly enough. Well done Lauren - keep the Charlie and Lola books coming!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 10 July 2017
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our two boys - one just seven and the other nearly four-years old - love Charlie and Lola, and this book didn’t disappoint. It is sturdy and chunky so will take a fair amount of handling from less-than-careful little hands, and the pictures are bright and eye-catching. Charlie narrates the story of Lola’s delaying tactics at bedtime, and as usual, Lola, has a very vivid imagination and an answer for everything. The graphics are excellent and every page contains something interesting to encourage interaction with a very young child. Although the story includes three tigers in the kitchen drinking pink milk, and a whale in the bath, their faces are benign so there’s nothing to scare a little one at bedtime.

I thought that our oldest child would find the book too young for him, but no, he loved it, and laughed like a drain at the two dancing dogs that were wearing Lola’s pyjamas – or so she claimed!

This is a lovely, funny book and I highly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2017
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit that I am already a big fan of Charlie and Lola, so I was expecting good things from this book. I was not disappointed at all! The story tells of the lengths that Lola goes to, in order to try and push bedtime further back. This is something my youngest can well appreciate! The story is in board book format, and incredibly sturdy and well-made. My little one has been quite rough with the book, when trying to 'read' it to me, and it still looks perfect.

Page after page shows poor, patient Charlie coaxing Lola through the next imaginative delay tactic. As always, there is a lot of fun throughout the tale, and the pictures are colourful and imaginative. The combination of photos and sketches is eye-catching and fairly unique in style - definitely one to hold the reader's attention. It really makes the ideal bedtime story for your cheeky toddler!

Overall, I highly recommend this Charlie and Lola book - and all the others too!
on 6 November 2017
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 2 year old has come across Charlie and Lola within a nursery environment from books there and so he was familiar with who they were from the cover. However I don't feel it is important to know the characters as it is a good standalone story for a young child. It's all about the reasons for not going to bed and although at 2 he doesn't understand the humour he understood the intonation and expressions I was using with my voice. He enjoyed the colours and how the font changes size. It's sturdy and robust too so in his hands (and I imagine in any hands under the age of 4) there's plenty of fun to be had.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2017
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My little boy enjoys watching Charlie and Lola on the TV so I thought he would like this book and he does. I'm not sure it gives out the best message though as I could just imagine him saying he wasn't sleepy just like Lola. Thankfully he didn't and he just enjoyed the story. I could just imagine the TV characters whilst I was reading it. It's a fun book, ideal for 3 year old children like my little boy. The book is nice and sturdy and is a board book. The illustrations are colourful and unusual and it's a great book.
on 27 October 2017
Format: Board book|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like all the Charlie and Lola book, this one is completely charming and very funny. I like the size of it and the fact that it's a hardback board book rather than a paperback - essential when there are small children around with little respect for their possessions! The pictures are great and it's great fun. All three of our kids (7, 5 and 2) enjoy it. Highly recommended