Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 November 2012
Bought for my 8 year old son who loves stories about Dragons. We read a page to each other, as he's a slow reader and can lose the plot on his own. We both really enjoyed it. The book was on my son's school's holiday reading list, the series isn't stocked in our local Waterstones, but available on Amazon. It's a great lead in to the next level up of Chris d'Lacey books that are more generally available.
I must admit I have had a number of Chris d'Lacey books on my to be read shelf for years now, and just never got around to starting them. It is a pity because they are wonderful books. In the last month I have read three from this series and most of two other from other series; and so far everything I have read by him has been simply wonderful. But there is something especially fun about this one. In fact my son and I have read it twice now, once just the two of us and once with his younger sister. There is currently 4 books is this highly enjoyable series. It was originally planned for 12 books but for now we must settle with just the four.

Grabber is very different than the other dragon's created by Liz Pennykettle, for shortly after his creation, before he could be schooled in the way of dragons he is pinched. And because his main influence is someone who has a habit of thieving things Grabber, having been named and influenced soon starts a life of crime! But Lucy with her view of the world and her daughter Liz soon find themselves working with the police to unravel a mystery and in the process Lucy enchants the officers and works towards a better result that reflects more truth and justice. Grabber is by far the most entertaining of the Dragons of Wayward Crescent.

This was an awesome read. It is rare for my son to want to reread a book as soon as we finish it, especially when we have the next one read. But this story was so fun he was willing to reread it and include his sister. Chris d'Laceys books are very well written, this series grabs children's attention and keeps it, some of his other books geared for older audiences are just as well written. I love this story and look forward to reading many more books by d'Lacey.