Customer reviews

The Pocket Scavenger
Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 November 2015
Fun book and a good gift
on 8 March 2014
This book is like eye spy for everyone to join in. It keeps us all occupied on journeys and then crafty when we get home with our findings
on 9 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Me and my 6 year old spent the whole of last weekend obsessed with this and I can't say who enjoyed it more! Pretty simple - each double page has an item to find ("The number 5", "6 circles", "a paper clip" - some easy, some not), a notes page to write where you found it and when and its story, and a plain page opposite where you can stick it. Then you turn the book over, flip to a page and read an instruction to follow. "Trace shapes over it", "Make it a statement", "Cut it in half", "Turn it into something you love" - most instructions can be interpreted a number of ways so really gets the imagination working. I've had great fun finding and transforming my finds and been blown away by my daughter's creations. Great fun. Would be improved if the book spiral bound with room to expand. It is hard to hold the pages open and now we've done a fair few it won't shut. Guess we'll just cram as much in as possible. Love it. My friend and her kids helped us find some things in the morning and she immediately ordered her own!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 August 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For me this book works on two levels. On one hand it's a great book for you and your kids to work with - either together - or it's cheap enough to give them all one copy each and go and scavenge competitively. On the other it's a great book for adults to take out - either on a boring trip - or for the shear fun of micro-exploring your environment.

This book will teach you observation, a skill that is very useful in life; and it will also teach you to look at the objects in a different way. The author suggests that once you have found the object, just the beginning of the process that you then randomly select an alteration process and record it in the book. This is where it moves from mere collecting to interacting with your environment and the found objects creatively. There's a whole art genre to do with found objects and seeing them in a different way as well as creative recycling. This book will help stretch the creative muscles in both directions.

When you have an whole book full of scavenges to do then the author has to be a lot more creative - or they will get repetitive. Fortunately Keri Smith has more than risen to this challenge and provided a very thoughtful selection of objects to find and process. Some of them are obvious and easy - some of them are obscure and tricky to locate, and unlike a puzzle in a book there are many right answers. For all them, make sure you read the instructions in the front of the book. That way you'll get most from it.

If I have a niggle, it's that the book is a paperback, we're told to stick things in the book. That would have worked much better if the book had been wire or ring bound. I know that costs more - but I would suggest to the publishers they might want to think about it.

But in any case, still great fun!
on 3 July 2013
After only a few weeks i still cant leave this book at home just incase i find somthing to put in to it
I would highly recomend this to anyone who is a bit arty and likes to get out and explore
on 11 March 2016
Excellent condition, arrived quickly.
My daughter loves collecting things for the book, the things you're required to fin are easy... good for a rainy day inside
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Pocket Scavenger looks at first like a children's paperback. It's true that it has much in common with the I-Spy books some may remember from childhood. Instead of collecting "sightings" of themed sets of objects like trees, road signs or breeds of dog, you scavenge a set of fairly random objects from your home or outdoor environment - everything from "six blue things" to "something that is broken or damaged" or "an image of an elephant".

But that's not all. Having amassed your collection of random bits and pieces, you then have to "alter" them in equally random ways. You do this by flicking to a different page and following the instructions to, just to give some examples, "add exactly six lines", "soak with water" or "do something your hero would do". The object is to create a piece of fairly instant inspiration, resulting in ideas, artwork or scenarios which may or may not be of use to you later. This is a similar idea to Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies Oblique strategies: Over one hundred worthwhile dilemmas cards, famously used by David Bowie during recording sessions to boost creativitity in new directions.

If you're at a loss for ideas, have a case of writer's block or just want to get your mind working in new or unexpected ways, this little book is a boon. You don't really need any great artistic skill - doodles and scissors-and-paste craft skills are fine - and more to the point, it's FUN. I found it a great refresher for the mind - but beware, it can get quite addictive!
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It took me a while to get this book. I have been staring at it for a few weeks and reading through the various pages with a feeling of confusion. The introduction tires to sell it as some sort of life changing experience in that if we learn to scavenge then that will allow us to enrich our lives and so on.

The book is designed to be fairly robust, and so comes with a water resistant cover and thicker than normal pages. Each page contains a thing to find and allows a log to be kept of the time, date and location. These things can be physical such as an elastic band, virtual such as a rubbing from a gravestone or virtual as in something that is broken. The reader is then encouraged to write a story about it. Following this there are further tasks which can be performed on each thing by turning the book upside down and reading small notes at the bottom of each page such as "Frame it" or "add a colour based upon a memory associated with the item".

I eventually decided that I was thinking too hard about the Zen-like introduction to the book and the life-changing implications for myself and gave it to my niece whilst I was visiting for a long weekend. She immediately sent most of the day out and about collecting some of the things listed which she brought back and proudly displayed to us and we chatted at great length about them.

Which I guess indirectly achieved the aim of the book. Well played...
on 7 May 2013
I had this on pre-order as I've never been disappointed with any of Keri Smith's books and I'm so glad I did. I'm primarily a photographer but do a lot of other arty things and what I love most about Keri's books is the encouragement to explore and look at things totally differently. Already this book has got me back into the habit of looking at the little details everywhere I go, something I'd gotten out of the habit of a bit recently, and helped me out of a creative slump! If you like collecting things and the idea of using found objects in your artwork I'd recommend it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 November 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a delightful project style book and something that reminded me of the old "I Spy Books" that used to keep youngsters amused for hours. The look of the book is that of a recycled publication. Nicely printed and a entropy feel to it. Pricewise a good deal.