on 12 March 2015
Really enjoyed reading this. I bought it after lending my copy of your mind on music to someone and giving up on it being returned. Rather than buy a replacement I was tempted by this instead. I liked the tone and the personal asides, although I can imagine they might not be to everyone's taste. I found the explanations clear, and at a good level. Some things I was inspired to go and research more on the internet but for me it was about right in terms of detail vs. easy to read.
on 28 May 2013
Just as described. Useful to beginner or regular listener. Well put across in an amusing style. Pleased to have read it.
on 8 April 2011
My partner bought me a Kindle for my birthday, but I got her to return it, and I plumped for this book instead. I wasn't disappointed. It is informative without being too challenging, amusing at the right intervals to re-inforce various points, and all aspects of music covered are exceptionally well explained. I recommend this book to everyone with more than just a passing interest in music - and how it works.
on 28 January 2014
Bought it on Kindle and read it from cover to cover. Well written and presented in an easy to follow style.
on 22 January 2015
A truly excellent book, written in an easy-to-understand manner. The author really knows his stuff and has an excellent way of explaining it, and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone. It was so interesting to read that at times I just couldn't put it down. I learnt more about music from this book than from all my past experiences. Brilliant!
on 30 July 2015
Very funny and deceptively informative in an easy read style for a fairly deep subject
on 14 September 2012
Great book. I'm not a musician but I love music. I read this book on holiday and really enjoyed it. A nice mix of humour (slightly geeky tbh but it would have to be!) and well explained technical content. Each chapter builds nicely on the previous chapter and pretty soon you start to assemble a good picture of "how music works".
on 26 August 2014
An amazingly interesting book! The author's style is informative and amusing at the same time. I really enjoyed it and learned a hell of a lot about music. I wholeheartedly recommend it to any music lover who would like to know how all the different aspects of music fit together.
on 19 April 2013
Having read David Byrne's How Music Works over Christmas, which deals largely with how music works on an emotional and cultural level and how the music industry works, Mr Powell's book with the same main title, How Music Works, was suggested by Amazon's recommendation fairies as something I might enjoy - and they were right. As a non-musician with an interest in using DAWs such as Reason, Cubase, FL Loops, etc. for largely empirical compositions I found this book gave me a great insight into some of the fundamentals of music that had eluded me up until now. No, it won't make you a musician just by reading it, and competent musicians may find the information somewhat basic, but for the rest of us who love music but never really spoke it's language this is an excellent read. And Mr. Powell's witty prose never allows it to be boring, even when he's discussing "fiddly details".
on 6 April 2016
One of the best description concerning creation of music