Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2012
I started violin at recently and bought this book based on the reviews. I'm self-teaching and have found that this is plenty good enough to get me through the awkward beginner phase. Would recommend! Handy pull-out in the middle to help remember finger patterns / parts of the violin.
on 7 August 2011
Alongside the great service, this book is also very handy - it has every step in the book for even the most recent beginner. It starts with plucking, then onto the bow and strings. I have been trying to read music and been unable to get a hang of it - this book is so easy I haven't even noticed that I can read it reasonably easily now!
on 19 August 2010
used these books before - I learnt with the old ones! the new tune a day with cd are great, much better especially if teaching yourself, or just getting going before paying for lessons.
on 30 December 2016
I am going through this book with my violin teacher at the moment, although there are a lot of songs I have never heard of before. But half of the book is really useful and it has helped me progress. I would recommend if you are starting out on violin. However, you would need lessons to follow up on this to make sure that you have the correct technique. I was holding the bow incorrectly but that wont show in the book.
on 4 March 2012
I bought this book along with the violin for dummies book (which is also great!!!!!). It's content is in 'Lessons', which you can work with your Tutor/Teacher, or on your own. There's 15 Lessons, and a test after each set of 5, therefore 3 Tests which enable you to see how much you've learnt, or what you might need to refresh upon. The CD is easy to use and follow.
on 22 November 2011
Very concise and easy to follow, lots of simple tunes and with diagrams and full instructions, very clear and well laid out. Recommended for the beginner.
on 28 September 2012
A new and up to date version of this classic book - it is informative, instructive, clear, well structured and laid out, and comes with a pull-out fingering chart and an audio CD. Superb and highly recommended to all : )
on 17 July 2013
I'm not a serious musician-but I played 'cello as a kid and decided to have a go at violin just as a hobby.

I can already read music and fully understand the basics of stringed instruments, so I got this book purely to teach myself the fingerings and learn a few tunes (with a view to maybe have some lessons later on).

The accompanying cd's are brilliant and I was quickly playing along comfortably.

I'm not looking to join an orchestra or anything so any bad habits I've got aren't a problem-if you're more serious about your music making then I'm certain this series of books would compliment professional teaching well.
I bought this for daughter who is learning the Violin.

The tunes are easy and graded to make the learner move on to the next level. All the finger positions and notation are explained well and easy to understand.

You need to work hard to do a tune a day but there is plenty here to help the beginner progress and understand music. A great buy for the beginner.
on 4 June 2016
This is a review for the Kindle Edition with enhanced audio. Unfortunately enhanced audio only plays on certain devices and this doesn't appear to include the Kindle App for Android or PC, only Kindle HD, Fire and I-devices. It does state this under the title, but as this is the first enhanced audio book I have purchased it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't work on one of the apps (like a lot of customers I had just looked at the title, description, reviews and price with an Amazon purchase). This is obviously disappointing as the audio would really lift what is a really good book. Refunds do not appear to be available as it is an ebook that I have opened.

I used the original book over 20 years ago so it was my first point of call when I returned to the violin this week (this time seeing how far I can get before introducing myself to an unsuspecting victim - sorry, I mean tutor!). The layout and content appears very similar with step by step ways of reading music, holding the bow and violin and making a noise that doesn't sound like my cats needing fed A lot of the lessons rely on you playing along with your tutor (or the embedded music / CD) to get the full effect, but usable without them - hence why the embedded audio would have really lifted the book.

It is still very early days of course, but if you are interested in this book I would recommend the paper version with CD. I just wanted to write a very quick review to guide people away from the ebook if you don't have the appropriate devices, however if you do, great stuff!

I hope this was helpful and good luck!