HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 March 2017
Having decided that I am a lousy baker, I thought I would try to improve.

My cakes have always been a bit hit and miss. I really didn't know why. I figured that if Mary Berry wrote a recipe then it might be a tad difficult for me but worth trying at least.

How wrong can you be?!

I followed Mary's Victoria Sponge recipe and it is so easy to follow and the results are perfect every time! It can be adapted to a lemon sponge, chocolate sponge, coffee sponge. I have even cut each layer in half and made a stacked cake. Measure out the ingredients and put them all in a bowl. It couldn't be simpler!

The book is full of recipes that inspire you and make you realise that, actually, you can bake better that you ever thought you could!

I am now becoming a much more confident baker and it is all thanks to this book! Brilliant!
on 16 March 2016
I wasn't sure about buying it after reading a lot of positive and negative reviews. But i thought i need to have a baking bibble.
It includes a lot of recipes mostly all are simple from traybakes to cheesecakes to buns and scones to breads and sponge cakes to victorian sandwiches, swiss rolls celebration cakes tarts cupcakes kids bakes biscuits cookies.. Almost any baking thing.
As I said the recipes are simple and mostly classics but those are the cakes you need to make the rest depends on the decoration and giving the cake your own touch.. I read reviews that the book doesn't contain many pictures that's right but for example there is a picture for the victoria sandwich the classic one and its recipe and then followed by two other recipes one is chocolate victoria sandwich with no photo but the main image is there it is just changing flavors.. Same goes for tart there's the image of the french apple tart and its recipe followed by other recipes of tarts with different toppings but without photos.But the image is almost there of what any tart or cake would look like. I would recommend this book as the ingredients are completely simple and available.
on 13 September 2017
This is one of my favourite cook books, Mary Berry being such a lovely lady, shares those simple tips that transforms your "nice cake" to "absolutely bloody lovely" -.even my own granny wouldn't give up the sort of tips and secrets to the perfect bake that Mary shares. My only criticism is that even with her brilliant (safe) recipes I have been able to improve them with the odd tweak here and there, so her recipes although good, can be improved, but that might just be me being a perfectionist to flavour. Overall though totally recommend 👍
on 10 January 2018
This item has been purchased as a gift for my sister who is an avid cook . I have no doubt that she will be extremely pleased with it , it appears to be highly comprehensive and packed with a plethora of inviting goodies . The price and service were excellent too , many thanks .
on 21 March 2017
Very easy recipes to recreated and they all taste delicious. Although, I would have loved more pictures in the book. Especially when it comes to the section of international cakes. It's hard to imagine some of them without having heard of them before. I ended up googling the cakes and treats I've never heard of before deciding weather I wanted to give them a go.
on 31 March 2018
I truly love this book, I was looking for something with interesting recipes... not ones that are in every cookery book. This is it... Mary Berry is amazing!
Such amazing and original recipes with different flavour combinations. A great recipe book for someone who already bakes and wants to try trickier/different bakes and techniques!
LOVE
on 27 September 2017
This is a great 'go to' baking book. If this was the only baking book you owned you could make something delicious for almost any occasion. All your basic bakes and a whole lot more. A really solid volume with a nice chapter on breads.
on 12 April 2018
Beautifully illustrated and the advice is spot on. A few of the cakes were baked and this was an unusually simple, fast and painless process - measurement units are all very sensible. All cakes were successful and tasty.

I like the simple but effective way in which the recipes are delivered.
on 10 August 2017
Bought for the Wife as this compliments the kitchen aids i bought her as well so here we go baking,baking,baking
on 1 May 2012
If you bake for fund raising or charity events as I am often asked to do, this is a very useful book.Quantities are given for large sized cakes as well as family sized recipes so no guess work or doubling up. The tray bake recipes and childrens' recipes are particularly good.The illustrations are excellent and the ingredients practical and easy to find .
Mary Berry avoids those long lists of exotic, expensive ingredients that so many recipe books linked to supermarket deals with TV chefs dish out.
A book for the home cook .The Rich Fruit Cake recipe is the best I have ever found for a 9 inch Christmas cake.

The section on cake decorations and fillings is useful giving the right quantities for the cakes. I use a Kenwood Chef for mixing large cakes, the results are always good.Kenwood Chef Classic KM336 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 800 Watt, White and Silver