on 28 April 2017
Perfect as described, good quality, best price in the internet. Of course I could buy from the same seller again.
on 18 November 2008
I saw this book in Sainsbury's and suggested to my wife that it would be a good birthday present. Sure enough, guess what I got on my birthday. I love the underwater world as I am a scuba diver so anything like this is right down my street. The images are superb and the tone of the text makes it very easy to read. It'd be quite suitable to read in its own right but as the TV series is on at the moment it makes a great accompanyment to that as well. Definately recommended.
66 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2012
This book which accompanied the BBC series of the same name should have been entitled "Some Oceans" as it deale with only 4 oceans (Atlantic,Indian,Arctic and Southern) and 2 seas( Red and Cortez)-there is no mention of the Pacific ocean, the largest one.
The text is first class and the majority of illustrations excellent even though the best are over 2 pages destroyiny vtheir integrity.
For some odd reason only the white pages are numbered and there is no bibliography.
For a much betterbook get "Ocean" isbn 9781405330923
on 9 November 2015
Some nice photos but text is aimed at readers with no knowledge whatsoever - like most TV documentaries these days - and therefore irritatingly superficial to the rest of us.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 9 September 2013
Another hit book from the BBC to accompany the TV show. As I have come to expect the books are well written and littered with stunning photography.

Being as this is about the ocean, there is a lot of blue to the book. I only point that out as you can get a sense of sameness about the pictures when compared to the more varied colours of land and sea based books. However, taken a few chapters at a time when settling down in bed it induces a calmness as oceans tend to do.

Covering the Atlantic, Indian, Southern, Artic oceans and the Mediterranean sea and Sea of Cortez, there is a good variety of wildlife covered in the book. Plenty of narrative and nicely broken up with images of the deep seas and what they contain. There is a little maritime information dotted throughout and some map overviews for you to work out where on earth they are in the chapter.

The plight of the sea and climate change is covered in the book, but not to the point where you feel you are being lectured about something you are already conscious about.

If you are a fan of the BBC series of shows, I would recommend building up a collection of books to go with them. I have mentioned this in previous reviews; don't overlook the market place for second hand books. These type of books tend to get read once and you can pick up some very good quality copies for a lot less than new
on 10 January 2010
Earlier review is completely unfair to this series. Although lacking the resources of the 'Blue Planet', for anyone actually interested in marine life, ecology and diving this far outweighs the pretty pictures and lack of a thread/message that's always apparent in Attenborough's programmes.
on 30 December 2008
I bought this book for my daughter's christmas as she was fascinated by the programme recently shown on the BBC. I did wonder whether she would find the written book a little too hard-going, but she loves it and finds it an easy and interesting read. She is 13. The photography is superb and the full colour picture inside this book are fantastic. Great buy. The picture of the weedy sea dragon is enthralling and was her favourite by miles.
The recently televised BBC series "Oceans" was a disaster and this book is the obligatory work which automatically follow such events. The front cover describes that series of programmes as a "Landmark" series. It was no such thing! Just ask any experienced diver.

I was first contacted about this series over 3 years before the first episodes were screened on British television. I warned of a number of pitfalls and the BBC promptly fell into most of them. I was asked to submit considerable material on those aspects which I knew in great detail. Consequently, my name appears on the "credits" of certain episodes. My submissions included text and photographs and came from my extensive experience and detailed knowledge as an award-winning shipwreck historian and author.

At no time did the BBC ever mention a book to me or indicate that my work might also appear in anything other than the television project itself. Nevertheless, there are 72 instances where my own copyrighted words are reproduced in this book and credited to these authors! I did not even receive the simple courtesy of an acknowledgement.

Such behaviour begs the questions; How much more of this book is based on the work of others who are also not credited for their own work, knowledge and expertise? And how many of those remain unaware their work has been so used? In my case, the answer is far too much. As an example; in one episode Cousteau's grandson Philippé visits the remains of an underwater structure built by his grandfather off Port Sudan. In this book, however, the authors' description of that dive is copied, almost verbatim, from my own description of my dive on the same structure some years earlier! All a writer has are the words he writes and, in this instance, none of the 72 instances in question are credited to me!

Elsewhere, I have also reached the conclusion that none of the so-called "facts" in this book may be trusted.

This review has never been challenged by BBC Books - although they do occasionally place a vote against it.

NM
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2011
I watched the TV series and, unlike some, quite enjoyed it, but that wasn't why I bought this book.

There are some very negative reviews for this book, but they all have some kind of axe to grind (justifiable or not) rather than actually reviewing the book in any objective way, so ignore those for what they are (the bloke who comments on every vaguely positive review on this book and the DVD in particular - I wonder if he's still trawling for positive reviews to reply to?).

I picked this book up very cheaply in my local charity shop, but there are plenty of Marketplace sellers offering it for a bargain price too, so there's nothing to stop you picking it up as a bargain.

I've not read the book fully yet, but for some of the photos alone it's worth the price it can be bought for. I tried in vain to find the fuzzy, out of focus shots one of the negative reviews complains of, maybe he got a poorly printed copy?

Each chapter, like each programme in the TV series, addresses one of the oceans and, to be fair, can only skim the surface (no pun intended) of the eco-systems, wildlife, climate and other factors that make each unique, but it does make a worthy attempt.

If you're interested in sea life, diving or nature, this has plenty of good quality images - Ignore the 1 star reviews, they're meaningless.
on 25 July 2015
I paid AUD$5.00 for this book, which was a total waste of money. It was sealed at the time, but I thought that for five bucks I couldn't go wrong. I did. However, I was determined to salvage something from my purchase, but the rigidity of the paper precluded any useful deployment of this book in the toilet.

Buy "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Ocean" from Dorling-Kindersley.