Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 May 2017
An original novel based on the tv series Torchwood. Telling an all new story for the main characters that didn't appear in any other medium prior to this.

It is a stand alone book, which can be read without having read any other Torchwood novels first.

It is set during the second season of the tv show, as can be seen from the cast picture on the cover.

As with all Torchwood, adult moments and the like mean it's strictly for the grown ups.

It runs for two hundred and fifty one pages. It has twenty four chapters plus an epilogue.

The story centres on a particular part of Cardiff. Containing some very old housing. Long overdue for urban renewal. Which is now happening. A great street party going to take place to celebrate.

Torchwood take an interest when they notice the sponsor of the party is Bilis Manger [A villain from the last episode of the first season]. But Jack has always taken an interest in the area. Because he's never been able to enter it.Without getting physically ill.

What is really going on in Tretarri?

This is smoothly written with good clear prose, and the pages turn very nicely. The main characters are all perfectly captured with dialogue that you can imagine the actors who play them saying. It opens with an interesting look at a previous Torchwood three team.

It does some very good things with the Jack Ianto relationship. Also the Owen and Tosh one.

And the structure of the book is interesting, as occasional chapters use different formats to get information across.

It does far more with Bilis Manger as a character than the tv show ever did.

And Jack has an interesting relationship with one original supporting character who is well drawn.

So a fair few good things.

But the main characters do spend the bulk of this reacting rather than acting, so you do wonder for a little too long where it is all going. It all comes together in the last fifty pages for a capable finale, although not one that will really stick in the mind for long.

So a good four star read all in all.
on 14 August 2017
perfect
on 14 March 2008
The Twilight Streets came to my attention because of its cover. Being a Ianto Jones fan, I was drawn to it...and I was not disappointed! The characters are more realistic than they were in the previous books; in fact they are 'in character'. The twists and turns will leave you spinning, and I finished the book in two hours with a small smile, after having giggled and even cried during this. There's glimpses to Torchwood's past as well and a mention of Archie, the man running Torchwood 3 in Scotland! A wonderful story, well-written and an easy read.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2008
This was a very interesting read but it is a book that would benefit from reading it twice in order to be able to follow the twists and turns better. I had the problem that the book starts slow and I got a bit impatient because I was thinking, all right, this is intriguing but what does it mean?

But after a while the story managed to captivate me and it was very interesting to follow how all the pieces of the puzzle finally fit together and revealed the answer to the mystery about the area in Cardiff Jack can`t enter.

I welcomed the return of the mysterious old man, Bilis Manger, from the first season. He is the centre of the mystery and what was also interesting to me is that the difference between good and evil became blurred. I found it fascinating to see a possible future for Torchwood. The author used a lot of what has been shown in the second season and especially now, after I have watched the season finale, that part - especially the Owen/Tosh relationship - left some impact on me.

Contrary to "Something in the Water", this book does not only offer accurate characterizations, it uses them very well and offers quite a few surprises. It is an excellent book I can recommend very much.
on 16 October 2009
Without any question of a doubt, this is my faourite Torchwood book that I own.
With a gripping plot, characters written so close to their originals this could have been written by Russle T. Davis himself, and with little smushy sweet sad bits that made me cry, this book is WELL worth the money I paid for it and I'd have hapily paid twice as much for it!!
If you've never bought a Torchwood book before, this is definatly one to choose if you want an AMAZING first experiance of them. I couldn't put it down when i got it and was finished within three hours before having my tea and starting all over again just for the hell of it. I even have little markers init marking my favourite parts ( i know it's slightly sad but it's such a good book!)
I give this 10/10!! For me, it's up there with Harry Potter for adictability :D If you buy, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
on 8 July 2009
Gary Russell has written a number of Doctor Who novels over the years, often tieing the plot heavily into continuity. With this Torchwood novel he does the same, bringing in references to the TV series and even Doctor Who (Boom Town). Unfortunately these references could be the undoing of the book in future years as the TV series ends up taking the characters in this story in a different direction.

In particular the use of Bilis Manger here as a character of ambiguous morality, rather than the obvious villain of the episode. If the TV series ever brings back the character (and I hope they do), will it take into account the events recorded here or ignore them and thus negate this story from continuity.

Aside from that, however, this is a darn good read with an intriguing premise: a block of houses that Jack can't go near. The overall plot focusses on Jack, but Ianto gets a fair whack in the story for once, which is good. It also presents an intriguing future that would not come to pass (because it involves Owen & Tosh).

There is also the implications of a sequel, which I hope we will get in the not too distant future.
on 21 October 2014
This was such a good book and I couldnt put it down, I love the characters and the way the book was written, and its torchwood!
on 6 May 2008
I liked this book the best of all the Torchwood novels I have read. It seems to reference a lot closer to the series than most. The story was absorbing once it got going and I was glad a certain pair managed to get together in the possible future ;)

If you like Torchwood, give this book a go.
on 14 July 2008
The Twilight streets is a MUST for any Torchwood fan and any Jack/Ianto fan such as myself!

it explores the characters beautifuly, is funny and the use of the Character Billis is brilliant!!!

by far my favourite book!!!!

i cant wait for the next set of 3 Torchwood novels in October
on 25 October 2013
Torchwood books are annoying it is hard to read them in order, and the different authors make it hard to know if you are geting the best book. but this one is very good.