on 14 April 2013
After purchasing some of the other books in this range and thoroughly enjoying them I decided this book qualified as a need.

Although being one of the books I suppose you should buy first in order to have the knowledge to prevent or delay problems and pests in the garden, it was one of the last for me, believing it might be a less positive read. I was wrong :)

Mr T writes with his contagious enthusiasm, and despite my trepidation this is an extremely positive read, full of valuable information and gentle nudges in the right direction.
This is all about how to have a beautiful garden/veg patch/allotment despite pests and diseases.

I had quite a few "oh !!! That's what that must've been !!!" moments ..

There are lots of options available to help, cure or prevent problems and a very handy index gives a fast diagnosis and "how to" advice in that typical Tichmarsh style.

I couldn't put it down and feel more equipped now to tackle any problems in my garden and allotment this year.
on 12 October 2015
Bought this, I suppose, looking for miracles. One of my biggest problems are moles. Answer - traps (we only have the kind that kill) or poison. Having seen the cat bring in the poor little blind bodies I've decided to let them do their worst.. Also mole crickets that wreak havoc in the veggie garden each year. Nothing about these. I found similar advice with Fearnly Whittingstall. Rabbits? - buy a gun. However this is a good book for identifying problems, although 'problems' listed for the 'lawn' are horrific. It wipes out all the low growing 'weeds' that are great for bees in season. Listing white clover or birdsfoot trefoil as a problem seems crazy. This book should have chapters 'Townies' and 'Country folk'. The illustration and layout is excellent
on 18 May 2017
Very good for info.
on 18 August 2013
Well written, lovely illustrations and easily understood by an inexperienced gardener. I found the section on seasonal pests especially informative and also the lists of plants best suited for certain challenging areas of a garden. A very useful addition to any gardeners book collection.
on 13 June 2017
Great book
on 11 June 2013
Useful illustrated book to have on shelf for any gardener wanting to solve issues with plants. Needed to discover what underground pests are when found on digging. Worth having.
on 23 May 2011
This is a handy guide for the major problems encountered in a garden
with good photos and practical solutions and advice. One of a series of
gardening guides, this one has been the most useful.
on 3 May 2013
We will be able to reference how to deal with so many things and what we need to purchase. Each time we go to the Garden centre there is so much on offer we never are sure what exactly to buy.
on 21 May 2016
Alan's books were my bible as a novice gardener and even now ten years or so down the line, I still find them invaluable both as a reference and as a good read on those winter days when you're desperate for spring and can't wait to get out there again. Thank you Alan. I have learned so much from you.
on 17 November 2012
I chose this book so I could learn more about pests and the problems that we get in the allotment and this book answered just about all of them and more, a really good book to have, to say that this book was second hand it is in very good condition and I would definitely buy from this seller again