Customer reviews

Alan Titchmarsh How to Garden: Garden Design
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 May 2017
From wanting inspiration - and practical advice - for a small front garden to a much more formidable plot, this is a great book. It covers all the basics and illustrates ideas with beautiful images of real gardens - and all written in Alan's wonderfully witty and chatty style. You can almost imagine him strolling around with you! It begins with 'wish lists' and assessing what you already have, through concepts of movement, unity, water, and colour within the garden, and finishes with suggested plant lists (ones to embrace and those to shun), and hard-landscaping materials and how to use them. On the journey he also gets down to the totally practical with clear diagrams of, for example, how to terrace a sloping site and different ways to lay bricks. I downloaded it on my Kindle and found it so inspiring and entertaining that I found it difficult to stop reading.
on 31 March 2013
I bought this book, after having loaned it from the RHS library. I found it so valuable when I was planning a part of my garden. I've got a large garden to do so I thought I'd buy the book rather than keen renewing it. I'll find that the plants that are listed in this book, are often recommended by other gardeners and also in the RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. There are good illustrations of gardens to give you ideas too. Also it's light enough to take on my commute in the morning for some inspiration.
I wasn't going to buy this book because all of the TV episodes are available to me and I thought that they probably had enough info in them and that the book would just be a repeat of that info. Well, that's not so, this book has a lot more info in it, particularly plant lists.
on 24 July 2017
bought as a present and my wife thinks its excellent. well done Alan!
on 27 June 2017
Brilliant advice and guidance from Alan. For the beginner and the not so new to gardening alike . Highly recommended.
on 4 February 2017
Great addition to my gardening library, with plenty of ideas and pics to help me with planning, landscaping and planting my new garden.
on 7 December 2017
Alan Titchmarsh is the king of garden design
on 27 May 2012
Need this one for the course I'm taking. Would recommend it to anyone, from beginners upwards. Really like it and will probably use it as reference for years!
on 1 February 2016
Have not read the whole book yet, but what I've seen of it so far it's very good, plain and simple descriptions. It's the way I like it. When I have read the whole book, I will give it a further review.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 March 2018
great for gardeners
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 July 2013
This was a bit 'Flowery' excuse the pun, I didn't rate it as high as I thought the book from the Horticultural Society was much more informative regarding the plant choice and easier to follow with less of the 'fluff'.