Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 February 2014
This is my second copy of this book, having lost the first one. I`ve only been trying to grow my own for about four years and this book really helped. I like it because he gives most things just one or two pages at most, covers every stage of the plants life with detail that even the most inexperienced (me) gardener can follow. In a chatty and helpful tone. No reams of irritating detail to plough through. Just find the page and go from there approach. Great.
on 7 May 2010
The book has lots of pictures and diagrams to give added information. It is very easy to follow and has lots of useful information and tips for all aspects of gardening. I especially like the a-z guide of vegetable and herbs.
on 20 April 2014
A great reference book, easy to understand.
I've used it frequently over the past year as I have become an allotment holder. The practical advice has been very useful and the writing style is unassuming and mentoring.
on 30 December 2010
The trend with these types of books seem to be lots of pictures and not a lot of usable information however I bought this for my mother and she seems pretty pleased with its content and tells me its 5 stars!
on 25 June 2012
A well laid out book with lots of useful info, but found several times that terms and phrases were used that we did not understand (e.g. bolting) and that were not described elsewhere in the book, so then had to head to the internet to find out what they meant, which sort of negated the point of having a book. Seeing as this book appears to be for the beginner, this was disappointing. If for those more knowledgeable in the field, then this is probably too basic I would have thought.

That said, we still find it very useful.
on 16 March 2011
Small and easy to carry book, with great pictures and explanations. Great for beginners and also people with some knowledge. Everything is very clearly explained, giving plenty of tips too.
on 11 July 2014
Really good for a beginners guide. Helped me a lot with vega and herbs I wasn't already too sure about. Highly recommended and have lent it to many friends and family members since.
on 12 April 2013
This has made a really good gift for a new young gardener. I think she's got the potatoes in and plenty of seed coming along. Looking forward to having a salad from her garden!
on 4 September 2009
Having been brought up on the practicality and simplicity of the Expert series, I was curious to see what Titchmarsh's attempt at this classic format was like. I have to say I was disappointed. The text was waffling, the photos often irrelevent and appeared to just be filling space, and the narrow text columns made even short passages a tedious read. I have no doubt Titchmarsh is a talented writer, but this book just does not fit the purpose of quick and easy reference. His fiction is much better :)

Don't bother with this attempt, go for the original and best: The Vegetable and Herb Expert.
on 16 February 2015
Great tips and advice. I always find Alan gives downtown earth practical advice. Each section is stand alone and allows to you focus on the specific job at hand