on 13 August 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't have particularly strong views, positive or negative, about the royals. I'm occasionally interested in the history of monarchy, but that interest comes and goes depending on how interesting or boring the last book, article or radio programme I took a chance on was. I got this audiobook because my mother loves Alan Titchmarsh and she loves the royals, so when she joins me for lunch I could put my usual Sherlock Holmes audiobooks to one side and listen to something she likes. I didn't expect to actually find myself enjoying it as well, but that actually did happen!

In a ten-minute introduction before John Telfer takes over, Alan tells us that he set out to write a book that approached its subject with gentleness, good humour and understanding, and that's exactly what he's done. Okay, so it's not exactly an impartial look at the Queen, but it doesn't pretend to be, and Alan's writing style is surprisingly engaging - he's able to hold your attention, and that might be because he genuinely does have an affection for his subject. I even learnt a few interesting facts. If you're a major royalist then add the extra star to this review score.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 September 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Titchmarsh has produced a celebratory account that is unashamedly fond of Her Majesty and has done a great job of collecting snippets of history from her life and times. It's not always seamlessly put together but if you are keen to find out some things you probably didn't know about Elizabeth II then this is a great place to start. My father is an avid reader on the subject and even he tells me that he learned a lot from this reading.

What didn't work so well is the reading. John Telfer just didn't seem to manage to breathe any enthusiasm into the material. Given that this is really a tribute that Titchmarsh is paying as a true admirer, it would have been a much much better product if they had got him to read it himself. As the account includes several references to his own experiences of the Royal family, this would have been a wholly appropriate thing to do which would have served fans of Alan himself as well as his Queen.

A missed opportunity.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Four and a half hours of listening pleasure. From the day that Princess Elizabeth of York became
Queen she has never faltered or put a foot wrong.

This isa fitting tribute to a wonderful Queen. I chose to listen to the audio C.D. instead of reading
the book as l have several of Jubilee books and l am so glad that l did.

Alan Titchmarch and Jogn Telfer do an admiral job narrating and whilst we are all familiar with the
events surrounding the abdication - this l feel explores the wider content and skirts gracefully
around the more unsavoury episodes of her reign.

This has been researched meticulously and gives us a comprehensive insight into the last sixty years
of our Queen's reign.

This audio book makes a wonderful momento of the Diamond Jubilee - we are so lucky to have such a
beloved Monarch. God save our Queen.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are a fan of Alan Titchmarch and/or the Queen then this CD set might possibly suit you. However, at four and a half hours you may start to flag before the end - I did! The reviews here are a mixture of the hardcover book and this audio CD - don't get them mixed up! And just for more confusion the "Look Inside" feature is for the Kindle version!

This production is probably better served in the hardcover format as a coffee table book souvenir for the Diamond Jubilee. However, for the more specialist Audio Book market this is a reasonable enough presentation - and offered by Amazon for a competitive price! This is yet another product for the Diamond Jubilee year I could happily live without - but I am not really the target audience for it. It is what it is - if you like the look of it you will probably not be disappointed - but do consider buying the hardcover book instead.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I made an early mistake not realising that this was a CD and not a book but all that aside I loved listening to it after my mum had many a happy hour listening to it-I am loving the renewed interest in all things Monarch right now and there is much forgotten information here to enjoy. Good.
VINE VOICEon 24 July 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A 4 CD reading of a Alan Titchmarsh unabridged novel about the life and times of the royal family.
From royal weddings and births, to historical events and cultural milestones, Alan creates a series of meticulously reseached and telling snapshots, which form a comprehensive picture of a traditional monarchy ever evolving in modern Britain.
Alan Titchmarsh has close links with the royal family, and has enormous respect for the work they do. He brings huge personal passion to this subject, and his wonderful eye for detail, gift for social history and engaging, accessible style make this an unmissable memento of the Diamond Jubilee.
I found this an fascinating look at the reign of Queen Elizabeth and the life and times of Great Britain, read by John Telfer.
Long but very full of information, a real celebration of the Diamond Jubilee.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Perhaps a nicely illustrated book may be appealing but the audio product `Elizabeth: Her Life, Our Times' is somewhat monotonous. This is partly because however eloquently read by John Telfer the 4 hours 30 minutes of listening is just too much, and the 4 CDs do not lend themselves to being dipped into like a book. Alan Titchmarsh has a very distinct voice and it may have been better if narrated wholly by him - or perhaps he should stick to gardening. As an author he has very little to add to what has already been written elsewhere. Titchmarsh is clearly an admiring Royalist but he avoids anything controversial and his narrative becomes tedious. Subtitled `A Diamond Jubilee Celebration' the album is marketed as a timely production, but it smacks of being a blatant commercial venture. It is only average - hence 3-star rating.
on 17 May 2012
I can honestly say I have little time for royal sycophants but Titchmarsh has presented a thorough view of the Queen. It's admiring (naturally) but has plenty of interesting information. QEII has served England loyally for many years and this kind of tribute is deserved. I'm happy to say it's not just a royal puff piece either, there is real content here looking at many aspects of her life.

I've made a point of avoiding royal bootlicking, as it strikes me as pointless, but here is a book which takes a good historical span without being too detailed. It's worth looking at for many reasons.

A lot of my reading time recently has been spent on work. This is one of the few leisure books I've read recently. The other was the completely different but extremely funny Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys, which is poles apart from this but did make me laugh a good deal. It has a few good jokes about Queen Victoria (tasteful-ish) but otherwise royal free. Quite a splendid read.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Got this on the back of the Jubilee as I am a huge fan of the Queen and wanted to get to know her history abit more.

Alan Titchmarsh obviously has a lot of respect and time for the Royal Family an is perhaps a little biased in his writing but it was enjoyable. Some events in the Queens life have been swept under the carpet or just mentioned briefly but this didn't affect the experience for me. However, what annoyed me was the narrator, he just didn't seem right for the job and this was the stumbling block for me. Alan started the introduction but the sound quality wasn't brilliant but the rest of the audio book just wasn't up to scratch compared to the quality of other audiobook cd's.

Therefore this is a mixed bag as far as I am concerned.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
at a time when the world is watching britain and our royal family i feel this could have been so much more than it was, its informative yes and well read ( if a little boring to me )but i didnt really think i learnt much about the queen that i didnt already know from the news or other tv programmes etc which i felt was a shame as id sat down to listen expecting to loose myself within this.i feel maybe it was ploughed out like so many other books/cd's/dvd/s of its type due to the jubilee but thats just my opinion. it was a good try and im sure some people will enjoy this or maybe people from other countries who love and adore anything royal but wont inspire me to pick it up again.

sad to say its a no from me