on 18 October 2001
Intrigued at Doyle's daliance into children's fiction, the dog on the cover inspired my five-year old to pick it up. A group of Gigglers exist to ensure children get fairly treated by adults, wreaking revenge in the worst possible way on adults daft enough to say "because i said so!"
We were hooked from the first page when we dicovered the whole story hinges on dog poo. At first it seems you may find out if Mr Mack does indeed get the Giggler treatment but then it becomes apparent with Doyles ingenious mockery of chapter headings that we are to be kept in suspense until the smelly end!
A fab read for all ages with amusing illustrations that bring the story to life i, (that was a slip i meant my daughter!) look forward to the next children's story from Roddy Doyle.
on 1 February 2009
This has got to be one of the funniest audio books we have ever listened to! Lots of talk of poo.... most boys favourite subject(!) We had it on tape a few years ago and now have the CD, we have brought it for lots of friends and think it's great! I would recommend it for boys (and broadminded girls!)5-9 years.
on 22 December 2014
Great book
on 6 September 2010
This book/ audio book is very funny. It is about small creatures 'the gigglers' who like observing adults. If those adults are mean towards children- they get the giggler treatment. The giggler treatment is -in a nutshell- placing dog's poo in front of the adults shoe and causing the adult to step into it... maybe not everyone's taste of humour, but it is mainly the way the story is written that makes it so funny. A lot of things happen in the meantime while the adult is about to get punished and on his way to step into his 'misfortune'. My 10 year old daughter and her dad laughed a lot while we were driving 4 hours in the car. This was a great way to pass the time.
on 3 September 2010
This is a superior children's story excellently told and enjoyable for adults. We played it on a long journey in our car with our children (aged 5 and 7). It was a bit advanced for the younger one but the 7 year old followed and counted the number of times the narrator said "poo". We also laughed with much of the humour. The story is much superior to the fairy tale tapes we have played in the past though it is only suitable now our children are a little older.
on 13 July 2006
My son was a struggling reader, mildly dyslexic and convinced he couldn't read.

I read this to him and he absolutely loved it. So much so he couldn't wait for me to read it again and read it himself. Since then he has become an increasingly confident reader and now reads independently regularly (and has returned to this book and Rover Saves Christmas several times!)

The humour in the book connects perfectly with the outlook of your average six to ten year old (and for many older children/adults too!)
on 20 March 2017
My 7 year old son won this book on World Book Day. He and his 4 year old brother loved listening to it at bed-time and we all laughed aloud plenty of times. Yes the entire book is about poo and so there is plenty of toilet humour but it's just a bit of fun!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2001
This book tickled my 7 and 8 year old daughters to the extent that they read it between them in one sitting. Previously they had not been particularly keen readers. My elder daughter went straight back to it the next morning.
Looking at it from a child's point of view, the book is hysterically funny because it is full of poo. Approaching it from a more adult standpoint, I was intrigued because the action of the entire book takes place over no more than a second or two. This is clever stuff. It reminded me also of Italo Calvino's If on a Winter's Night a Traveller... Oh yes, theses will be written about The Giggler Treatment.
And before I forget: my girls were thrilled when I told them that Roddy Doyle was Mrs "Go on go on go on" Doyle's son!
on 7 September 2009
I bought this audio book for my 9 year old who has a mischievious sense of humour. He loved it instantly as did my other kids who are 12, 11 and 6yrs old. The idea that a secret army of 'gigglers' is spying on grown-ups waiting to take 'foul' revenge for unfair treatment of children is brilliantly conceived and instantly appealing to those who feel that the world is against them.

Adults too will enjoy the plot especially the inspired delivery of Tommy Tiernan which adds an adolescent hum to Doyle's original and hilarious script.

Parents listen and remember the true meaning of 'that's not fair'!!! More please from Mr Doyle and Mr Tiernan!
on 9 October 2010
My 9 year old has a lot of story C.Ds ranging from Greek Myths and Famous Five to Michael Morpurgo. I bought this one based on the reviews and we were not disappointed. It is brilliant and so,so funny. I found it hilarious and in turn my son found it incredibly funny that I was laughing at such 'school boy' humour. The reading of this is very clever and we loved the seagul and have adopted his little sayings as a family in joke. BUY IT!