Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 December 2009
I flicked through this book earlier and it's complete and total dross. Pictures of Katie Price in some of her more outlandish outfits - "standing out" is definitely what she does, but not in a good way! The section at the back about how to get the best from your boob job was the most unsettling, and the paragraph where she describes in excruciating detail her hair removal routines just made me cringe - we don't want to know, love!
I work in a library and find it depressing that our local authorities are buying material like this (£20! our taxes!) rather than books people might actually want to read.
For hardcode Katie Price fans only!
on 30 May 2010
I'm not totally against Katie Price and everything she does. I have read all her novels ('angel', 'crystal' etc) and would highly recommend them,and I will definately be reading her next one 'paradise' when it comes out this summer. However, 'Standing out' was, for the most part, pretty dire. It's full of fairly hideous pictures of her dressed up in some of her grim outfits that she weas out clubbig and to various events. I don't rate her tips for going out- wear either('tiny skirt, tiny top and very high heeled stripper shoes') very classy. not!.
Also, there are areas where she goes into unnecessarily graphic detail, in particular, her distasteful discription of her hair removal/shaving routine, which made me grimace.
However one of the things that I was most unimpressed with was her promotion of the regular use of sunbeds to 'keep skin looking healthy'. Given all the press on the dangers and associated cancer risk of sunbeds,along with the fact that many young 15/16 year old girls will be reading the book (as surely she must realise), this seems, in my opinion, very irresponsible,especially as she is supposed to be an icon and idol to many girls. Also,especially where young girls are concerned, I don't agree with the idea of promoting the benefits of plastic surgery (in this case breast enhancement)and botox.
overall, I wouldn't recommend this book, although some of the tips on cosmetics, hair and body products are ok, and I personally wouldn't recommend it for young teenage(under 17/18) girls.
I would however really recommend (even if you hated 'standing out') Katie Price's novels :Angel,Crystal,Angel Uncovered and Sapphire, they are real page- turners and I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of them.
I read STANDING OUT (loaned from the library, not bought. I'm not that bad :p) as I was morbidly curious at the propect of the woman known as Jordan instructing us on style.

"There's been confident, and then there's been deluded"
[Fashion]

This is Katie Price, so be prepared for me-me-me and, erm, beautiful photographs with constipated, err, I mean smoldering facial expressions thoughout the book, as she takes us on a journey of her changing "sense of style" over the years.

To be honest I'm struggling to recall any valid pointers clothes wise. Most of the 'tips' are just laughable; Make sure your diamonds match your outfit [pink diamonds with a blue outfit? How tacky], wear 'very high heeled stripper shoes' [with ankle socks. She's not tasteless] and short, tight clothes on nights out and buy your clothes in a smaller size for "a svelte look".

I don't know if she's just taking the mickey or if she's being serious...

There are a few valid tips scattered throughout the book, but it's all basic stuff that we've all read in countless magazines: When going out keep flat shoes in your bag and if you feel bloated wear black.

The lasting quote that stuck was "'The other day I spent seventeen grand on Versace bedding at harrods. It was ridiculous. I just thought, Well I better have the best f-ing sleep ever"... Shortly before that she was telling us we could be looking fabulous on a tight budget.

Half the things mentioned is just her showing off how rich she is. Tacky; but then what did I expect?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"If I've chipped a nail - oh my god, I just wouldn't feel happy
leaving the house"
[Beauty]

However it's the stuff relating to beauty that really got me wound up. She has had skin cancer, yet her favourite way to keep her skin 'looking good' is to use a tanning bed. She justifies this with "we've all got to die from something". In other words, it's worth a early, painful death and leaving her young children behind, if she gets the skintone and texture of an orange. Fantastic advice for her mainly teenaged fans.

It's basically her showing off how rich she is again: Get facials every week, fly to LA to redo hair extentions every three months and get botox every six months. She has lost her weak grip on reality...

WARNING; the hair removal bit gave me nightmares [shudder], I wish I could forget it. What a class act she isn't.
55 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2012
I thought this book was a great read especially if you're into fashion, although some of the details she gives are too personal. I did find it a bit boring in some places, but the other parts were very handy! I think you can get lots of hair and beauty tips from this book. I would recommend this.
on 5 January 2010
A total waste of a tree, Why an untalented venomous nonentity would even think that she has anything remotely interesting to say in print is a mystery.Her life can be summed up in less than a dozen lines. Born, go to school, leave school, get a few boob jobs, show off silicone enhancements at every opportunity, get married, have kids, get divorced....real exciting stuff huh ?
This book is strictly for those with a very low iq or for propping up un-balanced furniture. Expect to see it in your local pound shop soon.
this was a waste of good paper... total rubbish.. though it would be good for tranvestites I suppose.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2009
This book is a total waste of money. You would be better just tapping jordan into google images and see her differant looks over the years for free.
It could have been so much better-1 out of 5 from me.
on 9 November 2009
I like katie's look but i'm afraid this book shows her for what she is; a vain, shallow, self obsessed woman who is completely out of touch with the real world. It kind of confirmed what i suspected she was like anyway. I was disgusted when i read the bit about her charity trip to india, when her suitcases were lost on the journey and she was upset about having to go without make up and clean clothes for THREE WHOLE DAYS!! Poor katie! Not such a hardship when you think about the millions of indians that live below the poverty line. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you are a die hard katie price fan with no brain!!!
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2009
Katie Price/Jordan has been famous for being trashy - that's her trademark! And this book proves it once again! It just a book who has been written (not by herself of cause!) to earn money, not because she have something interesting to tell!
on 15 December 2012
Katie Moss looks stunning and reading this book leaves you in no doubt how ndedicated she is to being the best in what she does. Lots of tips on does and dont on how to look good and dress to look your best and be attractive.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse