on 27 April 2017
Used to buy Look and learn every week... great nostalgic trip through a bygone era... superb
on 2 December 2016
Oh, the memories! And will make great reading to the grandchildren, Thank you.
on 18 June 2017
Happy days recalled in this excellent compilation
on 7 August 2010
I can't add too much to the other excellent reviews on this site, however if you're buying this off amazon, I'd recommend you pick a book that's labelled 'Very Good', that means spending around a tenner. I got a cheaper version, it's ex-library and a bit knarled and cardboard around the base of the spine. So it doesn't look cutely retro, but rather like it's been hanging around since the 1960s, the sort of book I turn up in the junk room of my parents' home during a clear out. There's a thin line between cool retro and that icy distaste one feels for items actually from that era... aka junk.

Otherwise, turn the page and there's a marvellous illustration of Robin Hood poised with bow and arrow, like straight out of Errol Flynn. It makes the heart sing. Oddly, there's also stuff that makes the heart droop, the sort of 'educational' stuff that would have bored me at the time.

There's a glib review on this site about how it's not for the digital age, which has plenty of negative votes. But you see, turn to 'Repel the Danes' the chapter on the Vikings. It begins: 'Half the island fortress was lost. The eastern bastions were gone. East Anglia had been surrendered without a fight. Northumbria had been conquered by savagery and trickery. Half of Mercia had been betrayed...' Eh? It's okay, but would lose many kids who don't know where Northumbria is, or what Mercia was. (I'm not even too sure myself). Later they talk of a boundary 'from London, followed the River Lea to near Bedford... to the Roman built Watling Street.' Again, no simple map to illustrate it and make it clearer, cf The Penguin Atlas Guide to the Vikings, which is all glossy and colourful. So when you read it there may be that nagging sense of inadequacy that may have dogged you as a child!

Otherwise there's a huge amount of info in this book, they really do pack it in.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2009
This is the best christmas present I've ever had and I'm 46 years young! The superb illustrations make this book a winner. My eyes popped out of my head on Christmas Day.
The topics cover mainly English & Scottish history with a bit of Arts & Culture thrown in for good measure.
Can't wait for volume 2 Mr Pickles?
2 people found this helpful
on 25 January 2013
A pick from the articles and airwork of my favourite childhood "comic". You get to the end wanting more, I hope they will do a Volume II!
One person found this helpful
on 21 October 2012
Brilliant value for money for this used book. The bargains you get on the Amazon used book section is quite startling.

If you remember Look & Learn from the 60s/70s, you will definitely like this book. High quality illustrations throughout.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 June 2015
The thing I loved about Look and Learn magerzine was the brilliant art work and illustrations. My favourite was Trigonian Empire .A cross between the Romans and the British Empire cartoon ( graphic art) series. It was sci-fi set in another galaxy on the planet called Election with two suns, one a dwarf star. A series that should have had it own spin off comic but as I found out later failed as the artist died. I meet his very talented artist
daughter. I have been trying to get the books since as they are really great fro young children who want to learn and read.
on 17 November 2014
Very good value for my childhood newspaper.
on 1 August 2014