on 15 August 2017
I must read it again to really take in why my lack of awareness has caused me to overeat mindlessly, and to put some of the concepts into practice. A book to be recommended. Several truths hit home and brought me out of the fog. Here's to a healthier life and fat free in a different sense to normal.
on 23 January 2014
I can totally relate to this book and only wish more dietitians and doctors would read it. We know what food is good for us and what is not, we know we need to move more - exercise but how do we change.

This is not your normal diet book. Why can't we have groups who use this approach instead of "fat clubs".

If you are sick of being nagged to diet read this book and see what you really need to change.
on 18 March 2014
I'm still reading this book, but the idea of " you aren't so much what you eat, but what you think" really strikes accord with me in this fab book. I'm a long-time Dr. Chopra fan anyway. He is an experienced medical doctor making sometimes unfamiliar or esoteric-sounding Eastern ideas accessible to the West; I also have an interest in natural and holistic living. What we eat, feel, think and do in life is a choice, and they all affect each other, according to this book. If you are out of balance somewhere in your life it will show in your health, and possibly your weight. Your GP isn't a magician and bad food and medical choices can and do make us ill and big companies extremely rich.

Becoming aware of this concept is at the heart of this book. Once your awareness of your diet and lifestyle awakens and your understanding of the mind-body link grows (including how this can affect your weight and the further effects this has to say, to your sleeping habits or confidence-levels), you learn to know you can make helpful changes. You can remove what doesn't serve you, and gradually introduce dietary and other lifestyle choices that balance you and your weight, bringing you health and happiness. I can honestly say Dr. Chopra's ideas work for me, and I'm feeling better for them. It would be great if the NHS adopted these ideas rather than spending billions on treating symptoms.

As the book suggests, it's not a diet book per se, but one about changing your mindset related to food, using both Western and Ayurvedic medical philosophies. If you don't want to be seen as a hippie, it might not be for you, but if you're open-minded or like Deepak Chopra's other work (there's a lot of it!), give it a read. It's practical, positive and accessible reading. If you'd rather try an entirely non-Eastern approach to the same kind of things, then I'd recommend Paul McKenna's hypnotherapy and NLP-based work instead.
on 26 June 2014
I love everything by Deepak Chopra but this is particularly inspiring - it has helped me to think about my relationship to all sorts of things in my life not just my relationship to food - it has helped me with other addictions and a difficult emotional world. it's a really great book.
on 4 April 2014
If you like Deepak then this is classic. As well as practical tips for weight loss and his own story he gets you to think about why your life is out of balance and therefore you are eating too much or the wrong foods. Easy to read and digest!
on 26 April 2014
Reading this, with the" Science of Skinny" for down-to-earth practicalities about aiming to eat as near wholefoods without additives as possible,this book is really the answer, for me at least. Deepak focusses on facing up to what is preventing us from addressing the emotional issues around food, and is really helpful.
on 31 August 2015
This wasn't really for me. I eat healthily already and had already lost a fair amount of weight just wanted to something that would aid my good intentions. This is more for people where weight and over-indulging it really a problem and who see food as the enemy. I more enlightened take of food and dieting is Charles Eisenstein's The Yoga of Eating.
on 19 May 2014
Deepak advices is enlightening , it's really bring our awareness and accountably for ourselves, and it's not hard to work what he's saying into everyday life. We all know that diets don't work so why not look for balance and purity in life that works, and not be hard on ourselves while doing it.
on 25 May 2014
Great book, balancing great techniques and a nice deeper side, has totally changes my relationship with food.
A good read for anyone who would like to enjoy food more.
on 22 August 2016
I enjoyed Dr Chopra's advice which is more based on psychology than mathematics. Humans have a Spirit, and when we eat we not only feed the body but also the soul. Therfor food need to be nutritious but also enjoyable and make one feel good afterwards.
I would have liked more recipies included in the 'Appendix.'
A very informal style of wriring makes it easy reading. It is not a scientific journal but still have the credibility of a Professional Practitioner and Author.