Customer reviews

Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul: How to Create a New Self
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2011
The last Chopra I read was about 10 years ago, so I picked this up on a whim to see if his latest developments related to my experiences of healing in the past decade. I liked his previous book but didn't read more as I was following my own way of doing things and didn't want my mind crammed with other's views, especially the wannabe gurus out there. So it is lovely to be in agreement with what he says in this latest publication and I congratulate him for putting it in a readable and accessible manner. The body/mind link is explained better in other books but if you are interested in the effects rather than the science, this book is very accurate on the effects of trauma and emotions on the body. You have to suspend the busy, interfering ego in order to get to the meat of this book and in fact the soul needs no instruction on what to do once the ego has been stilled, but this book gives good information that may still the critical mind for you. Fighting the ego is simply not the way forward, in fact the only way forward is to take the time to sit in real stillness and let the soul energy (repressed and feared by the ego in most people) emerge. There will always be those who scoff and sneer at this type of literature, but in my humble opinion Mr Chopra states many truths in this book. His passion seems to be for finding new ways to communicate the need for us to let go; in this book he succeeds in putting higher concepts into plain language for the common man. Only 4 stars because he complicates a very simple message with many examples, case histories and occasionally patronising metaphors but that is, I suppose, because he knows his regular audience. Perhaps some of the info is still fodder for the ego to grab onto, but he at least tries to give info that will qualm our fears of intentionally letting the soul emerge. When all is said and done, there will never be a substitute for letting the mind completely relax, so Chopra tries to calm our anxieties and reassure us that we will only be letting go of that which holds us back. He must be walking the talk to have even written this, as it is not just a cynical rehash of other's ideas. If you find this book frustrating, you probably need it the most.
on 26 November 2013
I am involved in complimentary medicine and have read a great deal of Deepaks work. I have been to one of his lectures in London and he re-affirmed all my personal beliefs and left me feeling I was on the right track. His earlier writings seemed full of originality, but they developed in to a predictable format, which I find less inspiring. This book has many personal stories which, although interesting, come across to me as fillers, reducing significantly the actual content of the book.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2010
This book I bought on a whim and I am glad that I did. I have known for a long time that our bodies are a reflection of our mind. When we get annoyed our body lets us know in the solar plexus that we are tense. When we are frightened, our pupils dilate, our breathing quickens, our palms sweat and our mouths go dry. There is no mystery in this, it is a fact. After the event we are still able to feel the physical effects of what happened for a long time and it does not take a great leap of the imagination to suppose that some of the effects we feel may be cumulative causing long term damage. This is one of the reasons why meditation is so very good for you and why proper breathing and taking control not only of our minds, but our feelings and our views and beliefs is vital for health. I was not aware of the possibility of changing our genes and this is a concept I will look into further.
A previous criticism of this book was that someone enjoyed all the works of Deepak Chopra and chose to have cosmetic surgery. I do not see a conflict here. I can enjoy meditation and this does not mean that I will never have a glass of wine. We live our lives the best way that we can and if we choose to enjoy reading and at the same time engage in surgery - so be it.
This book does help us to connect at a very basic level with ourselves and with our feelings but it should not be confused with a manual on - if you do (a) then (b) is the outcome - common sense and knowledge is the key to living your life in a way that is harmonious to yourself and to the planet.
Someone once said ( I am sorry I have forgotten who) that an unexamined life is no life at all. After reading this book you will be more aware of what you are doing not only to others but also yourself.
There has been a lot of talk recently about various authors not being genuine. You are not expected to be a child and read a book and blindly follow it word for word. Part of adulthood is asking yourself the question "Does this feel right to me" If the answer is yes then go for it and if not then stop and re-evaluate what it is that is troubling you. All I ask is that you read the book and make your own mind up.
For my money this is one book which will remain on my bookshelf for years to come. It is an important work and one that deserves more than one reading.
11 Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2017
love it
on 19 November 2010
Born in India, Deepak Chopra has the benefit of a spiritual upbringing, coupled with the scientific discipline gained through his career as a surgeon. The marriage of these two backgrounds produces a book containing amazing insights into the true cause of all diseases affecting the body, and the therapy required to resolve them, and maintain a health body. Deepak reveals the quantum and virtual realms of energy that we are a part of, and how they act upon and with us. The problem for most of us, is that we are unaware of who we are and what we are a part of. This book will help you take charge of yourself, and if you can do that, you will cope with life differently, and bring to yourself a life that is more befitting of your essence. Bob Lovelock, author, "A Ticket to Freedom, your license to be different".
on 22 January 2010
Deepak Chopra is amazing - how he manages to write so many books whilst being so busy teaching is beyond me. Perhaps it suggests that he really is connected to some spiritual source inside him, or at least to some major creative part. This is as readable and insightful as any of his other books, making it clear that we have much power over our own bodies than we realise. It's all about using our mental powers in the correct way, so that both body and mind can reach an optimum state. I would recommend on it heartily, only with the proviso that if you've read other books by Deepak, you may have heard certain things before. Another great new book I've just read is Steve Taylor's Out of the Darkness, a massively inspiring book on spiritual awakening Out of the Darkness: From Turmoil to Transformation
on 20 September 2013
I am working my way through this book for the second time and making notes because there is so much information which I need to absorb. Wonderful.
on 2 May 2016
I didn't like this book at all. I listened to it on audible and just felt he was relaying story after story, without giving any true wisdom. Very disappointing
on 5 January 2013
This book crystallises what one can do to literally reinvent oneself .....it gives one the chance to hope and believe in one's own field of possibilities by putting into practice the tools for reacching one's deepest desires ....what more can we ask for in a world that has become so heavy and dead with primitive thinking ?
on 15 April 2015
So interesting and true. Through my own experiences I know that what is written in this book is so true!