Customer reviews

Pocket Guide to How to Read A Church
Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2011
I have been watching the re-runs of the BBC 4 programmes on 'how to read a church' and found Richard Taylor a delight; his enthusiasm, and the sheer delight in what he clearly loves was quite contagious. I have bought the pocket version of his book and have already been visiting some of the churches he cites in Norfolk and Suffolk. It is fascinating to look with 'different eyes'and to have gained a greater appreciation of the artefacts, structures and works of art that I might otherwise not have noticed or indeed not understood. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the richness of our inheritance, of magnificent architecture, story, myth, and art and perhaps like me seeing it with 'new eyes'.
on 16 April 2018
it was great as an introduction into church heritage as a heritage pioneer
on 28 June 2014
The pocket guide does it what it says; it explains church ornaments, history and architecture in simple , straightforward language. The guide is convenient as I can carry it around with me. Good illustrations. Non academic.
on 30 June 2014
The book gives a real insight into aspects of church architecture and furnishings that you might not previously have thought to be of any great significance.
on 10 June 2013
This is in the glove compartment of the car, a very useful book. We also have the hard back copy to read at home.
on 8 February 2015
Liked his tv programme too
on 7 November 2015
A really interesting and informative narrative with excellent photos. I would reccomend this book to anyone interested in church buildings irrespective of religeous belief
on 14 February 2015
As described. Just what I was looking for.
on 31 July 2013
Not sure the book stayed to the theme that well and the body of the text was about Staints and the images associated with them
on 10 January 2012
Answers those many questions when you visit churches. Will be with us whenever we go walking or travelling in the car.