Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 2013
Byron Katie's journey took her from the very depths of suicidal depression to an awakening which transformed her thought processes. Unknown to her at the time, this inquiry into the nature of thought was congruent with Taoist philosophy . .

This book clearly shows how we create our own worlds from our thoughts and how we lead miserable lives . . or joyous ones according to how much we believe the thoughts. It has quotes from the Tao te Ching at each chapter heading, which Katie expands upon in her own way.

Reading this book is like coming home and the fascinating thing for me, is how Taoist theory is linked to our current explorations in Physics . .
on 30 April 2017
I highly recommend it to anyone wishing to expand their mind and free themselves of suffering. This is an inspirational guide on how one can move beyond the judgemental mindset so common in humanity today-to a place of acceptance, loving what is and joy.
on 6 September 2017
I love Byron Katie. This is another wonderful read.
on 29 August 2017
An astonishing book. For anyone who has experience of BK's Work and wanted some elaboration on how/ why anything stressful isn't really true.
on 15 September 2010
I am a Great lover of Byron Katie's Work.
Her book 'Loving What Is' shows a practical way to put The Work into practice. Some people find it a little dry or heavy going. I found it LIBERATING!
This book by contrast, although containing examples of her work with people, is more philosophical. I found it real Fun to read.
If you didn't like other of her books you might enjoy this one.
I didn't agree with everything in it. But somehow I found it gave me permission not to agree.
For me it had the effect of Setting me free.
It's not for everybody but it might just be for you.
Give it a go!
on 8 February 2007
Readers of Byron Katie's two previous books, "Loving What Is" and "I Need Your Love - Is That True", will delight in this new offering, and it also serves as a fantastic introduction for those who are new to this author. The book contains a few of the powerful and much-loved dialogues between Katie and an enquirer doind the remarkable process Katie calls The Work, but the bulk of the book is in the form of little essays by Katie prompted by quotations from the Tao Te Ching. A combination of beautifully poetic and deeply affecting prose and a multitude of concrete examples from Katie's life provide the reader with amazing evidence of the possibility to live a life of joy and integrity in today's world. I have read it cover to cover and am now looking forward to going back and reading it at a slower pace...it's a treasurehouse of wisdom which I suspect has no end....

Review by BRIAN CORMACK CARR, author of How To Find Your Vital Vocation: A Practical Guide To Discovering Your Career Purpose And Getting A Job You Love
on 18 November 2007
I haven't read the Tao Te Ching or either of Katie's other 2 books, although I have seen videos of her doing 'The Work' on the Net. Having read many books by 'Awakened Beings', Ekhart Tolle, Tony Parsons, Krishnamurti etc. I was unsure what to expect from Katie. Maybe I was finally ready to listen; the honesty, the clarity the radicalness of it connected with something deep inside me.

Quite simply the most beautiful book I have ever read.

on 8 April 2012
The Tao Te Ching is such a wonderful text and Stephen Mitchell's translation stands alone without the need for commentary. I had come across Byron Katie previously and not been too interested as I felt her previous works were geared more towards psychology/wellness rather than non-duality/mysticism.

Coming across this in a local bookstore was a welcome surprise. Her inspired responses to verses of the Tao Te Ching make up this book and they are non-traditional, bold and uncompromising. She talks about everyday experiences she has been through together with more extreme ones such as being confronted with a man with a gun. Sure not everything is 100% consistent, but I'm more than happy to forgive this given the directness of her expression. In many ways this book reminds me of Jeff Foster's "Life without a centre"

"The reasons I love rules and plans and religions is that people feel safe in them for a while. And, personally, I don't have any rules. I don't need them. There's a sense of harmony that goes on all the time as things move and change, and I am that harmony, and so are you"

The only reason I've knocked a star off is that upon looking at her website she charges quite a large amount of money for her courses. While there is nothing wrong with this in itself, it doesn't sit completely well with me.

If you are drawn to this then definitely go for it. If you have already read Byron Katie but are not familiar with eastern thought, I suspect this may be a more challenging read. I would encourage you to pick up this book and dive into it - it's well worth the effort and could change your life.
on 30 October 2007
It's a must for everyone, everywhere, It's is life changing and it's so simple. For anyone new to the Work by Byron Katie the Audio Book Loving What Is, is great, as you will hear Byron atually doing the Work with real people, its amazing, and so too is her second book I need your Love is that True, and this one just pulls it all together. it is a Joy Just buy it Now.
on 8 October 2007
This book has a "harsh" tone for someone unprepared because Byron communicates directly about realities we often avoid discussing such as death, pain, suffering and our fears. Each passage is like a conversational meditation on a passage from the "Tao Te Ching." I found awakenings as I read key parts of this book that were relevant to me. Excerpt 46 on "Fear" was very insightful and I realized that my own belief projected onto others is what frightened me. Excerpt 33 dealt with "Death" and Byron communicates honestly about it. We rarely hear such honesty and it can be disconcerting yet it is part of life and we need to embrace these realities. I recommend this book to readers seeking honest, insightful revelations.

Another book that I highly recommend for a transformative and insightful story is "Nexus: A Neo Novel" by Deborah Morrison and Arvind Singh. This novel examines the ups and downs of spiritual life through the journey of people at a spiritual retreat.