on 18 January 2011
I'm going to be a little less critical than other reviewers & but this may be because I'm coming from a different stand point. Firstly I haven't really modelled since I was a teenager 30 years ago and secondly I've read no other books on the subject. Knowing that I was getting an airbrush for Christmas I needed a book to get me started and that's what this book has done. It's a decent enough grounding in the subject & I'm nearing completion of my first airbrushed model thanks to the basics which it explains. Sure enough Brett does bang on about the tools & paints he uses & mentions the manufacturers names at every opportunity, but this doesn't bother me. He does the same in his videos on Youtube, but he seems like a decent bloke & he certainly has plenty of expertise in this area. Where Brett or the publishers have laid themselves open to criticism is in calling it a masterclass. For me the book seems aimed at beginners who want to learn & develop a bit more. Where I found it lacking was in some of the more advanced techniques which were only covered very briefly. In this respect the book falls short of being a comprehensive guide. Where it has succeeded though (with me at any rate) is in inspiring me to delve further into the subject. I now realise what a wealth of information and help there is available on the internet. So thanks Brett. I enjoyed your book & it's been a great help. I may well pick up some of your others now.
on 23 September 2009
I have learnt quite a lot from this book. How ever the author could have crammed in a lot more information had the text with the photos had not been a repeat of what had already been written. and mentioning on nearly every other page what make of airbrush he was using. I paid for an informative book, not an advert for a certain brand of airtools
on 7 June 2011
I can't believe the reviews I see. Bought the book, read it, liked it.
And, yes, as a beginner I am interested in brands for almost everything: airbrush, paints and so on!
Some techniques are really new and very interesting to a non-pro like me.
It sure helped my work, improved my models so far and I'd recommend it to my friends.
A no-nonsense, informative book and I love even the way it's printed and the binding too!
on 9 April 2010
Having bought all the Osprey Masterclass books, I can certainly say that this is not a worthy inclusion in the series. Repetitive, with some errors in the photo captions, and no "special" tricks at all. Quite good book for the novice modeler though. So 2 stars only.
on 20 February 2014
This Book is A1 as it is telling you about how Brett Green started a modl to how he finished them but he is not saying that how he as done something is the only way but its how he did it and he is also always giving you confidence in to trying things out so to me this was a book for all people using an airbrush from novice to expert
on 4 March 2010
This must easily be the worst book I have bought on painting and finishing models. Compared to other publications by other modellers like Steve Zaloga, Gary Edmunson, Richard Windrow, Mig Jimenez etc this book is far too limited in quality, detail and information to be of any real use. The finished models are of a reasonable quality no more, certainly no where near 'Masterclass' standards, probably the standard an average modeller can achieve after reading a few model magazines. Given the number of alternative books you can buy that are far superior this has to be last on anyones shopping list.
on 11 May 2016
I have used airbrushed before many years ago and wanted a refresh. This book did that and also had many good tips I didn't know so it was well worth it. The book concentrates almost exclusively on military aircraft, if that is your thing you will gain most from the book otherwise it's a bit light on detailed examples. Worth the money.
on 4 December 2014
I slightly regret getting this book in electronic format as I'd like it on the workbench beside me as I am using the airbrush - you can easily cover a book with a sheet of polythene and reach under to turn pages - I am less happy about doing that with a £200 tablet! Also it's easier to thumb through an actual book. That was my choice and fault of the author or the book.
This book is well illustrated and full of really useful tips and techniques, I have found it very helpful indeed.
on 21 June 2015
Quite well described and very useful for a novice airbrush modeller, however, the majority of the text deals with model aircraft with skittle on militaria, leaving model cars and motor bikes in the shade. Although the text is still usful.
on 17 January 2015
This is a nice little book for somebody wishing to update their painting and modelling skills. It is not as advanced as some books but for somebody new to the hobby and to airbrushing in particular it is exactly what is required.