on 6 January 2012
This is an absolutely beautiful book. I find something new in it every time I open it, and I open it often! The quality of the book itself perfectly compliments the superb content. Just looking at the pictures is an inspiration; the accompanying text enhances the whole experience. This is a book for those who like simple but beautiful homes, as the author says - not "show homes or show-off homes". As budgets get tighter, I've had to seriously curb my addiction to glossy home style magazines and now I have this book that is no real hardship. All the ideas I could ever want are here within these pages. Can you tell how much I love this?????
2 people found this helpful
on 8 September 2014
A Great book for the coffee table, but also very good at making you realise which styles you do and don't like, so you can get your home homely (if that makes sense). I love dipping in and out of it, if I feel a revamp, or restyle is needed somewhere.
on 5 May 2016
Great
on 29 August 2014
A lovely 'coffee table' book. Relaxing reading.
on 10 August 2011
I rate this item very high. Having the opportunity to look inside the book via Amazon was a real bonus before purchasing this book. When it arrived it was better than expected. From start to finish it reads very well and the pictures are a joy to look at. Have picked up so many new ideas from reading and looking at this lovely book. If you enjoy your home and want to make it homely with a modern twist then this is the book for you...enjoy
2 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 23 January 2011
Just one of those books, you can look at over a coffee or tea ,and get ideas and inspiration from. Even nicer than I expected!
6 people found this helpful
on 14 December 2011
This is a very beautiful book, full of great ideas albeit they are not very original. It makes you look at things you have lying around in a new way and I am all for hanging unusual things on the wall. There is a huge gap in the market for a book along the same lines for the thousands of us who live in modern boxes rather than cottages or manor houses. This style can look tatty in a modern house with little character but I love the ideas which need tweaking to suit my home. The content regarding cleaning and de-cluttering is blindingly obvious and has been expounded too many times before. All in all a lovely book.
One person found this helpful
on 3 August 2010
The Comforts of Home is the latest book from journalist and author Caroline Clifton-Mogg. She advocates making the most of what you have, finding inspiration via window shopping and rejigging what you already own to create livable spaces which you and your guests both feel at home in. A manifesto which is very timely this current era of austerity.

It's all about getting the basics right, with the first part of the book is dedicated to "The Elements" necessary to form well run-household. From the linen cupboard to the pantry Caroline suggests de-cluttering, organising, and getting into the nitty gritty of cleaning. There are even helpful hints on how to make your own natural cleaning products and a list of store cupboard staples. The second part, "The Rooms" tackles head on the individual challenges of each room which are aspirationally described as the "peaceful bedroom" and the "practical bathroom".

You can read more about this book on my blog The Curiosity Workshop
20 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 October 2011
I agree with the previous reviewer Sue. This book contains some very attractive photographs, the cover picture being a prime example; this is truly the best that can be said of it. I found the words silly, lazy and patronising - they read like a series of inconsequential magazine pieces cobbled and tacked together with very little thought or structure. The thesis of using "thrifty and chic decorating ideas for making the most of what you have" doesn't amount to much more than things like drawing the curtains, arranging fresh flowers and buying new things like cushions and lamps, for which a long list of suppliers is provided at the back. An injunction to change our general philosophy, and to think about the pleasures of rejuvenating, recycling and learning to re-like the things we already have, evaporates within a couple of pages: "presumably you like what you have, otherwise you wouldn't give it shelf space (and of course, if you don't like it, you could get rid of it...)" The reader is offered priceless advice such as "a tablecloth is a very cozy thing to see on a table, (as long as it is clean; dirty, stained cloths have no place in the comfortable kitchen)" and, when unexpected guests are coming, to "go straight for the visible manifestations of disorder: remove all papers from all surfaces (including chair seats), as well as any remnants of earlier snacks and drinks - from apple cores and cigarette ends to dirty plates, mugs and glasses". The photographs of beautifully designed rooms, many of them in designers' own homes, are disconnected from the writing - so that, for example, a chapter on bathrooms extols the virtues of building as much storage as possible into spaces such as the panelling surrounding the bath, while the bathrooms pictured feature a succession of roll-top, claw-feet baths with no storage in sight. There are irrelevant lapses into the history of housekeeping, leading to things like a list of "random, but riveting (and untested by us)" ideas - so what value is being added by the author? - such as cleaning a kettle by boiling potato parings in it, or removing grass stains from a garment by rubbing on some treacle or molasses before washing in tepid water. The vaguest of suggestions are made: "I cannot make lampshades, but if I could I would use old, lightweight shawls or sari lengths...and either stretch the material tightly around a frame, or attach it more loosely in a sort of old-fashioned, full-skirted way, finishing it off with braid, ribbon or even beads." And it is badly written: "But while at a small gathering it is comparatively easy to greet each new guest and make he or she feel welcome..." and "Obviously, a hallway must be well lit, but that does not, nor should not, mean a single, harsh overhead light." I feel mean articulating all this but honestly, this book was such a huge disappointment that I feel cheated and I can't recommend it at all.
14 people found this helpful
on 12 June 2011
I was extrememly disappointed by this book. Having read the other reviews I expected to find really useful book giving lots of tips on making my new holiday home a comfortable space, on a budget, making the most of things that I already owned. I was looking for inspiration. This book just re-iterated old worn cliches about making your own cleaning materials from lemon juice and vinegar as well as how to keep a well-stocked pantry. Things which most of us alreay do with one arm behind our backs.

However, the pictures are beautiful, well composed and aspirational. I will spend time looking through the pictures but am afraid that the text will not have me searching for my reading glasses.
9 people found this helpful