Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 February 2014
Love the chabby chic look, fun book nice projects, to copy and adapt, furniture you already have, suit anyone on little money to sex up all charity shop buys
on 8 January 2005
If you like very bright colours this is the book for you. If you are more of a traditionalist like me, you may find the ideas in this book a bit too rough and ready. I think it would suit a younger audience (teens and 20s) who maybe are in their first home and don't mind a 'bright rustic' look. I'm going to pass mine onto my daughter.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 July 2011
Though this is a nice book with some lovely evocative (and very carefully lit) photos, plus various useful tips, there is an underlying flaw. And it's a big one. These ideas work if the reason you are strapped for cash is that you've laid out every penny on some gorgeous period building with wonderful light, good architectural detail, and bags of atmosphere. It's all very well putting a few battered pieces of vintage furniture in an empty room on a bare floor if the walls are Georgian panelling and the floor is oak boards. Try the same approach in the kind of house that most of us can afford, and your visitors are likely to wonder if you live in a squat.

I would also take issue a bit with what the authors call "cheap". There are some very expensive bathroom fittings in the bathroom section, and using a 1950s medicine cabinet for your bits and bobs may save money on a swanky (and naff) fitted cupboard, but you'll need to scrimp when you've blued a grand on the bath.

More than anything else this book makes me think of that "Harry and Paul" running gag about the shop in Portobello called "I saw you coming". Maybe I'm being unfair and there is a real market out there amongst people in London with bags of taste, enormous mortgages on crumbling period houses, and no idea what to do with the interiors, but for most of us it's just a case of 'dream on, mate'.
1212 Comments| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2004
I adore this book, it is full of lovely ideas for rooms that won't date (in my opinion of course). My one teeny criticism is that my budget is MUCH smaller than theirs could be, and my house about a tenth of the size of the ones shown in the book, but hey, that's the same as every book of this ilk I have ever seen. Nonetheless, it is still a lovely book, and i found some useful ideas that I can achieve in my own (tiny) home. I would definitely recommend it as a nice 'ideas' book.
on 16 January 2013
My daughter wanted it. She is finding it very good with lots of tips and lovely things to do. Great
on 13 January 2015
Yes its OK but has illustrations in it that I have seen elsewhere before
on 29 December 2010
Lots of lovely photos of lovely interiors few of us can afford but we all like to look at. There are ideas we can all take from this book though and fit them to our budget, especially if you are an avid visitor of charity shops and are handy with a sewing machine.
on 2 October 2014
Its amazing thank you !!!!!! I love it Shosh Kuperberg
on 13 February 2012
This really didn,t teach me much .I used to go around the junk shops as a child with my parents as money was tight and as an adult I have continued to do the same as money is still tight so I am used to making and doing and rehashing stuff for a new purpose the photos are lovely in this book but it really hasn,t taught me much that I didn,t know already..
on 14 September 2015
Great book, full of inspiration & ideas.